• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best off road tire?

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry did 4 different searches and nothing recent popped up.
6 miles to work
90%+ will be off road maybe 1x month drive .

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
you did a google search? lots of reviews online

i've always been a fan of mickey thompson's. check out the baja boss line up

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yep use is huge. All around hard to beat just about any of the modern radials. BFG, cooper, Mickey Thompson and Yokohama are current faves. For mud only Toyo mud grappler, or anything from super swamped besides thornbirds or iroks.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
There is no universal "best" of anything. Your off-road terrain & driving style is not necessarily the same as anyone else's, so the "best" for your purpose is not likely to be anyone else's "best".

If you want suggestions on tires to consider, you need to thoroughly-describe the terrain you drive on, and how you drive it. Pics of your truck on the trails would be even better. Also - what's wrong with the tires you have currently, and what are they?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
BFG KM3 have weak side walls I bought those and blew out 2 side wall the first Trip out. I would not buy them again. best on road handling but too weak off road.

OP
OP
77BroncoWag

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is no universal "best" of anything. Your off-road terrain & driving style is not necessarily the same as anyone else's, so the "best" for your purpose is not likely to be anyone else's "best".

If you want suggestions on tires to consider, you need to thoroughly-describe the terrain you drive on, and how you drive it. Pics of your truck on the trails would be even better. Also - what's wrong with the tires you have currently, and what are they?
MTR REALLY old tires. Worked really well when it ran. Sat for 7 years so the tires are AGED out. New engine and trans in almost done. Drivelines are being resized and tires would be the last step.

OP
OP
77BroncoWag

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BFG KM3 have weak side walls I bought those and blew out 2 side wall the first Trip out. I would not buy them again. best on road handling but too weak off road.
thats why I don't trust OTHER websites to find out the best and worst.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
thats why I don't trust OTHER websites to find out the best and worst.
I’d call that really bad luck, not poking, just sharing personal experiences. I’ve actually cut fewer BFG’s than any other tire I’ve owned and have been running them exclusively on my bronco for the last 8 years, and only cut 1, and it wasn’t unexpected when it happened, I deserved that.

I’ve cut a lot of sidewalls, I’m on a first name basis with the local industrial tire vulcanizer getting off-road race tires repaired, we used have 2-3 repaired every month. The best tire on my buggy has been fixed 3 times from cuts on sharp, wet rocks and they are Maxxis bias competition Treppador’s, arguably one of the toughest tires made.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
the mtr was a good tire back in the day. i've personally never heard or read that bfg was a good off-road tire. 😆 they're very affordable and you see a ton of folks running them but you don't see positive raves about them. they're usually in stock at the local tire stores so maybe that's why? my only experience is with their all terrains and they suck imo

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Something that hasn't been brought up is the importance of sidewall rating. A "C" rating is going to benefit you for ride quality, contact patch and the tires ability to conform to the terrain. You do not need a D or more common "E" rating. Those are for loaded pickups.

crashnburn

I run 35 BFG KM2's and they have been great! THey made it through the rubicon this June with no problems and I air them down to single digit PSI with beadlocks. I will upgrade to the KM3's when these wear out. I have had them since 2017 in sand, snow, mud. I also drive to the trail and they do fine. I would look at a tire that fits your driving style AND is supported by your local shop. I bought mine from 4 wheel parts and its a lot of work to get to their shop for warranty/flat/rotation. Just my 2 cents.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Way back when the bfg mud terrain were a good tire then went to the mtr and was ok but higher failure rate then went to km2 was ok but catastrophic failures rats when aged but these km3 they have ruined what a good brand but are incredible on road manors. just cant take them offroad. I hate there all terrains they ride funny,

Contributor
Asking what the best tire is, is like asking what the best oil is. Everyone is going to have an opinion.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Asking what the best tire is, is like asking what the best oil is. Everyone is going to have an opinion.
Agreed! So currently I'm having real good luck with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 35s on the 6G. Also been using a lot of Toyo Open Country M/T 37s running on 2 classic and Mitch's 6G.

Jim

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Agreed! So currently I'm having real good luck with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 35s on the 6G. Also been using a lot of Toyo Open Country M/T 37s running on 2 classic and Mitch's 6G.

Jim
Agreed JIm... and in my case I'll never touch a Toyo tire again for where we live. Next best thing to running ice skates where I live! lol

Their tread compound makes them unmanageble on compact snow/ice! I mean dangerous. I have so many examples following buddies home on the trail down the mountain, all driving Broncos, all in line and I multiple times had to follow all the way down in the ditch as I could not keep from sliding sideways... they'd be waiting for me at the bottom.... once again, all Broncos and I run ARB's to keep the rear/frt from sliding and no help with those things. Probably get 70K miles with them tho!

Anyway, I'm actually thinking of trying the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T's. They make em in load range C for my 40"s and I can cut some sipes in em if I need more grip on snow/ice.

Every terrain and driver is different for sure! :)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Agreed JIm... and in my case I'll never touch a Toyo tire again for where we live. Next best thing to running ice skates where I live! lol

Their tread compound makes them unmanageble on compact snow/ice! I mean dangerous. I have so many examples following buddies home on the trail down the mountain, all driving Broncos, all in line and I multiple times had to follow all the way down in the ditch as I could not keep from sliding sideways... they'd be waiting for me at the bottom.... once again, all Broncos and I run ARB's to keep the rear/frt from sliding and no help with those things. Probably get 70K miles with them tho!

Anyway, I'm actually thinking of trying the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T's. They make em in load range C for my 40"s and I can cut some sipes in em if I need more grip on snow/ice.

Every terrain and driver is different for sure! :)
BFG Krawler Red Labels are the worst I've ever seen in snow, might as well run slicks. fresh virgin snow, 12", will not go in a straight line, will follow every groove like like its a rail if it will even move forward at all. Put them in gravel and they pick it up and throw it like they are velco, put them in the snow and its like that velco turns to slime.