• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best off road lights?

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
For standard driving use Cibie E-Code 7" Headlights with 80/100 watt H4 bulbs. For auxilary driving lights Cibie Oscar's (pencil beams). They will lay a "hot spot" 2 miles down the road ... amazing.

This setup will set forests on fire at night.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Go with Cibie E-Code H4 Headlights that are relay controlled direct to the battery (see other posts). Cibie E-Codes are hard to find given they are illegal in the states (not DOT approved). The beam pattern is awesome ... not like the DOT pattern that lays an amorophous blob of light on the road 30 pathetic feet ahead of the vehicle.

Check out the E-Code beam pattern ... even more impressive with standard white 80/100 Watt or 90/130 Watt H4 bulbs.

http://www.cibielights.com/headlamps/headlamps.htm

Order P/N 13-05065-01 ... $105 per pair ... best money you will ever spend. Closest thing to HID level light output clarity for a fraction of the cost. I have used Marshal, Bosch and Hella 7" H4 Headlights ... none compare to Cibie. Cibie was also hard core into offroad lighting (set the standard) in the '70's so they are "period correct" for the Bronco.

You can order the standard high (80-130) Watt halogen bulbs from ...

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/standard_bulbs.asp

OP
OP
B

boatbldr

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
I'm not too sure I wheel fast enough to need to see 2 miles! I was thinking more of an all-around (not highway legal) off road light. I think I'm leaning more toward flood than spot. But I have 4 light tabs on my new bumper that are itching to be filled up!

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
[quote author=boatbldr link=board=5;threadid=19809;start=0#msg151967 date=1057781629]
I'm not too sure I wheel fast enough to need to see 2 miles! I was thinking more of an all-around (not highway legal) off road light. I think I'm leaning more toward flood than spot. But I have 4 light tabs on my new bumper that are itching to be filled up!
[/quote]

Cibie Oscars have three light (lens) patterns. I referenced the "pencil beam" ... but you can go with their broad pattern.

OP
OP
B

boatbldr

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
Those look like replacements for the regular headlights, I'm looking for add-ons (auxiliary). Do they make buckets for them to attach to the bumper? Or should I go with KC's or Hella's?

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
[quote author=thedirtyneck link=board=5;threadid=19809;start=0#msg151981 date=1057784505]
I second PIAA, but its hard to beat KC's for the price.
[/quote]

Tractor lights! Cheap ass tractor lights! I used to buy the high priced crap like PIAA and KCs. None of them are as good for slow rockcrawling like a set of tractor trapazoidal lights. I use them as both front lights and rock lights under the tub. And they only ran me $14 for two of them! Make sure you trapazoidal lights though!

You can get them at Autozone or even Walmart in their trailer wiring section, not their offroad light section. I use rectangular ones up front, and the circle ones underneath mounted to the frame.

OP
OP
B

boatbldr

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
Now THAT'S creative! I put a tractor light on the back, but it doesn't seem very bright, maybe not a trapezoidal light though. What is so great about trapezoidal?
And I hate to bring this up, but don't they look kinda,...uhhh, .....uhhh, CHEAP??

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
[quote author=boatbldr link=board=5;threadid=19809;start=0#msg151995 date=1057785924]
Now THAT'S creative! I put a tractor light on the back, but it doesn't seem very bright, maybe not a trapezoidal light though. What is so great about trapezoidal?
And I hate to bring this up, but don't they look kinda,...uhhh, .....uhhh, CHEAP??
[/quote]

Could care less if they look cheap, as long as they function correctly. I don't need a bunch of bling-bling chrome on my Jeep or my EB.
Here they are on the front:
20030429143125_Wrecking%20Ball.jpg

They throw a really WIDE light and light up the whole trail in front of you.

And my rock lights:
DCP_1488.jpg

I'll be doing the same thing with the EB. If I bash one into a rock, they are only like $11/ea

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
Somewhere there was mention of using buckets and replacement bulbs from Napa for like $8-10 per light.......
I can't find the part numbers......
anyone remember that one?
I will keep looking.....
Chris

randall

im using pro-comp 100 watt offroad lights. They were pretty inexpensive but still built pretty well, i use them alot and they work great. They are plenty bright for charging across the deserts....But from what i hear Piaa's are supposed to be the best!

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
What kind of lights do you need, spot beams or Flood lights?

I like Cibies but can't afford them yet.

In the meantime I am using Hella for the short range wide angle floods, and 200W GE sealed beam aircraft landing lights for the spot beams. 8)

yellowbilly

Loc.
Auburn, WA
I thought the phrase "bling bling" was banned from this forum? ;D

I use Procomp lights and really like them. They are kinda like down and dirty lights compared to finess lights like PIAA and CIBIE.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
[quote author=yellowbilly link=board=5;threadid=19809;start=15#msg152189 date=1057821547]

[/quote]

No, it was only people who use the phrase that were banned.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=Skuzzlebutt link=board=5;threadid=19809;start=15#msg152193 date=1057825282]
[quote author=yellowbilly link=board=5;threadid=19809;start=15#msg152189 date=1057821547]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is banned in the state of WA ;D
I'm going to look at the new lights Duffs is selling they adjust from flood to pencil with a twist. More expensive than KC's tho.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i've had great luck with the hellas. i own some ciebies & kc's as well. each have their own unique qualities.
allot of it comes down to what you want to spend.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=77BroncoWag link=board=5;threadid=19809;start=15#msg152787 date=1057962493]
[quote author=Skuzzlebutt link=board=5;threadid=19809;start=15#msg152193 date=1057825282]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is banned in the state of WA ;D
I'm going to look at the new lights Duffs is selling they adjust from flood to pencil with a twist. More expensive than KC's tho.
[/quote]Those are LightForce Lights from Australia. I'm going to get a set when I can free money up for them. They also have different colored clear covers to change your light colors too(Red, blue, green, orange) which would be fun on a night run or playing in the dunes...