• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering column firewall bracket?

Ben77

I have a 77’, the triangle bracket that the steering column sits in with kindof a strap across the top. Wondering how tight it’s supposed to be. I’m chasing a little bit of play in my steering and I can move the column at the bracket prob 1/8 in in all directions. Aka the strap is not synching down on the column. Missing a rubber gasket material or something maybe? Or just loose? Supposed to be loose? Any insight ? Thanks !!!

OP
OP
B

Ben77

850418afb4cffa6b74bb3092e031e59f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Ben77

You need the rubber column to firewall seal. It will cinch up nice and tight once that’s in there.

Awesome thanks. You think mines gone then by looking at it? Sorry for the wood stick I was trying to gauge how much play haha

Okie69

Contributor
That might be a little bit of it sticking out there but it’s definitely not as far down as it should be. It should come all the way out under the bracket.

Okie69

Contributor
Be warned to do it correctly you have to take the column apart to slide the new one on.

OP
OP
B

Ben77

Be warned to do it correctly you have to take the column apart to slide the new one on.

Thanks. Figured as much. Can I do it all from firewall side? Unhook column from box and slide it up?

Okie69

Contributor
Your shift lever or levers will get in the way if you try and go from motor side up. The shift collar and turn signal….collar I guess it’s called? Will get in the way from the inside.

I think doing it from the inside would be easiest. I don’t know for sure. My column was already apart when I did it.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a more solid plan.

OP
OP
B

Ben77

Your shift lever or levers will get in the way if you try and go from motor side up. The shift collar and turn signal….collar I guess it’s called? Will get in the way from the inside.

I think doing it from the inside would be easiest. I don’t know for sure. My column was already apart when I did it.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a more solid plan.

Thanks for the advice either way. Does sound kinda like a pain. Maybe there is a easier way short or cutting it.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I think doing it from the inside would be easiest.

Can't be done. The bracket that mounts the column to the under side of the dash would prevent you from sliding it on even if you removed the turn signal housing and shifter housing.

The correct way to do it is from the bottom after disassembling the column and removing the shift arm.

The boot seals the opening from air coming in through the firewall. If you don't care about that seal, go get yourself a bicycle tire inner tube. Cut it up as needed to wrap it around the column and take up the slop between the bracket and mounting clamp.

Okie69

Contributor
Can't be done. The bracket that mounts the column to the under side of the dash would prevent you from sliding it on even if you removed the turn signal housing and shifter housing.

The correct way to do it is from the bottom after disassembling the column and removing the shift arm.

The boot seals the opening from air coming in through the firewall. If you don't care about that seal, go get yourself a bicycle tire inner tube. Cut it up as needed to wrap it around the column and take up the slop between the bracket and mounting clamp.
Ah yeah forgot about that! Thanks for the correction!

OP
OP
B

Ben77

Haha of course. Thanks Ford for not planning 50yrs down the road.

I’m pretty sure the firewall piece is still in tact I haven’t ever seen any daylight and don’t really get fumes in the cab. Guess I will start by taking off what I can and investigate. Thanks again for the support.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Haha of course. Thanks Ford for not planning 50yrs down the road.

I’m pretty sure the firewall piece is still in tact I haven’t ever seen any daylight and don’t really get fumes in the cab. Guess I will start by taking off what I can and investigate. Thanks again for the support.

Whatever's left of the original boot will likely be dry, cracked, and brittle and come out in pieces when you take everything apart to get to it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone ever just cut the seal in half, or just one slice on the bottom, and installed it that way?
Not a reasonable approach? Either phyically, or too much chance of fumage in the cabin?
Just curious since I've never had to go through the fun of replacing one.

paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

agreed...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Anyone ever just cut the seal in half, or just one slice on the bottom, and installed it that way?
Not a reasonable approach? Either phyically, or too much chance of fumage in the cabin?

anything's possible with a little time and effort I'm sure

OP
OP
B

Ben77

paul

I will see what options there are when I get the new seal and take things a part. If it’s malleable even a little it could maybe be worked around the shifter? Will give it a go but need to get the new seal. I’m not above cutting it and resealing it somehow lol.