• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel size oddity

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
Working on the new baby. Uncut 1974; 302 manual on the tree. 67k original miles. I’m totally in love. The previous owner (who bought it from the original owner) removed the wheels/tires it came with, supposedly factory original. He wanted to put 31x1050 tires on and believed he needed new wheels to do it. He gave the factory wheels to me when I bought it. I’d like to put them back on and get her closer to the original condition. Upon inspection, the wheels look like the original style. They are Ford oval stamped, and have the sizes stamped into them as well as other letters. A few questions… Three of the wheels are 15x5.5, and the fourth is 15x6. My guess is that someone has done other things with the steelies along the way that I don’t know about; am I right? I know sometimes these trucks got some “in between” parts and pieces depending on when they were built and what was available. Can I drive it with these four wheels, seeing as how there’s an odd one or will that affect balance, etc.? Also, how do I tell their original color? I have a Marti report but it makes no mention of Wimbledon white or Argent gray. The wheels have been left to the elements for the past 20 years so I’m in the process of restoring them and cannot tell the color. I’d like to paint them the original color if possible. Ultimately trying to decide if I should restore these mismatched ones if possible, or buy new wheel vintiques that match. Thank you all. Happy to be here!!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Good chance a wheel had an encounter with a curb one day. A quick trip to the local junkyard found a wheel that looked the same and was priced right. Put it on and off they went.

40 years ago it was just another old used truck, nothing special, never expected anyone to consider restoring one.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
It will work fine and probably would not be noticeable. That said I would look for one to match the 5.5 wheels - anyone with OCD would be bothered! Only real issue I see is if you have the 6 inch wide one on the front with stock hubcaps the locking hubs might look different depths side to side due to difference in backspacing.

OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
I love it!

Separately, I have access to four factory 1978 F100 steelies, 15x6; same bolt pattern. Think those would fit my ‘74 Bronco?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
No issues with backspace?
No issues for drivability. They might sink the locking hubs into the hubcap up to 1/2 inch but should not be a big deal. That's only if you intend to use stock full hubcaps.

OP
OP
Bronco_007

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
UPDATE: I am still waiting on the F100 wheels; 16x6 with 3.75” backspace. But I also found some 16x7 with 4.00” backspace. My truck is uncut with a 2.5” suspension lift. The end goal will be 32x9.50 tires. Anyone have any advice? Wait on the first ones or grab the second with .25 wider backspace, but also are an inch wider? Am I splitting hairs??? Thanks, all!!!!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
my 1974 had grey wheels because they came with hubcaps. my understanding was white without hub caps. standard issue was grey. in 1974.