• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 bronco wiper motor issues

MikeCon

Replacing original wiper motor with new one.
Randomly runs on its own. Stays where you turn it off.(will not park)
Wired as follows
New. Old motor
Blue. Blue. (Fast)
Green. White. (Slow)
Red. Red. (Power
White. Black. (Park,ground)

Help!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure that your windshield is grounded because the motor actually grounds through it's case and bracket to the frame, and therefore to the rest of the vehicle.
Over time the body ground bonds lose their bond and flake out on you.

Make sure you have an actual body ground from the battery to the body in the engine compartment. Then another one from the back of the engine to the firewall.
And finally, I have had to literally put a ground wire between the windshield frame and body so that the wipers worked.

This may not be your issue, and it might be a fault in the gear box or switching of the motor, but it's certainly something to rule out.

paul

OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

Make sure that your windshield is grounded because the motor actually grounds through it's case and bracket to the frame, and therefore to the rest of the vehicle.
Over time the body ground bonds lose their bond and flake out on you.

Make sure you have an actual body ground from the battery to the body in the engine compartment. Then another one from the back of the engine to the firewall.
And finally, I have had to literally put a ground wire between the windshield frame and body so that the wipers worked.

This may not be your issue, and it might be a fault in the gear box or switching of the motor, but it's certainly something to rule out.

paul
What about the blades not parking?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can be the dash switch, can be the ground, can be the switches inside the motor drive unit.
I’m certainly not an expert on wiper motor wiring, so maybe the others can fill in the blanks.

OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

Replacing original wiper motor with new one.
Randomly runs on its own. Stays where you turn it off.(will not park)
Wired as follows
New. Old motor
Blue. Blue. (Fast)
Green. White. (Slow)
Red. Red. (Power
White. Black. (Park,ground)

Help!
Changed some wires, wipers still won't park.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unfortunately it could also be that you got a defective part right out of the box.
I’m just not qualified to tell you how to test to be sure.
Someone here must now.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
wipers.jpg

This is how the stock wipers work. I suggest checking voltages on the Blk/Wht wire (this is not a ground by the way).