• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Install for Lokar ATA 1001 selector shaft on AOD transmission

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
Has anyone installed the Lokar selector shaft on an AOD before? Looking at their install info it looks to be quite involved. I was under the wrong assumption it was unbolt the old stock selector shaft and slip in the Lokar. Obviously not you have to drop the pan and get in to the shift mechanism a bit.

If it’s easier then it looks then I might tackle myself but if a real headache then maybe it would be better to take it to a transmission shop?

Any thoughts?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven’t even looked up the part yet from my phone, so figured I just ask you and bring this back to the top at the same time.
What’s so different (or cool) about the this particular shifter that would even make you want to change it in the first place? Much less tearing into the transmission to do it.
Is it specific for a cable shifter perhaps?
Maybe to reverse the shifting mechanism positions?

I’ll be curious if the desired results match the difficulty factor.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
I haven’t even looked up the part yet from my phone, so figured I just ask you and bring this back to the top at the same time.
What’s so different (or cool) about the this particular shifter that would even make you want to change it in the first place? Much less tearing into the transmission to do it.
Is it specific for a cable shifter perhaps?
Maybe to reverse the shifting mechanism positions?

I’ll be curious if the desired results match the difficulty factor.
Here is a picture of it. It’s gear selector on the side of the transmission. The stock one looks like it could work fine too if my auto column shifter linkage would mate up to it… haven’t fully tried yet. Also there is a Lokar kick down cable instead of the kick down arm. I bought these parts based on what my buddy did on to prior builds he did. The only difference is he had the transmission shop put these in when they were putting in the Dana 20 adapter kit. I bought my ADO already done with the Dana 20 adapter in it but with the stock gear selector and kick down. Maybe these extra Lokar parts are not a necessity or maybe it makes easier???

I have driven a Bronco with an AOD and it was great but I never had the joy going through the headache of figuring what’s the best and easiest way to do it?

Attachments

• FD431A1E-B10F-4B83-991A-2B1F8E44D628.png
    FD431A1E-B10F-4B83-991A-2B1F8E44D628.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 12

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Those levers work pretty well with a column shifter when setup correctly. The arm is a little short for a Bronco auto column but the ability to clock the lever is good. You want the lever pointing forward in park.

The levers are not difficult to change. There is a nut inside and a roll pin the pan rail that need to come out. Don't need to remove valve body.

Attachments

• 20180911_155014m.jpg
    20180911_155014m.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 14

1buckeyefan1

I recently swapped mine out in a 4r70w. It wasn't tough. Just drop the pam and follow the instructions. My only issue was a quick trip to jegs since I accidentally bought the aod version. The 4r70w has an extra collar for the sensor.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
Ok over the weekend I did a little experiment. Since my trans was already rebuilt and had the stock gear selector and hardware already on it I tried to line up the aftermarket shifter rod. It was close but both shifter rod and gear selector would need to be tweaked to make it all work. I then went to my old pile of EB parts and dugout a handful on different shift rods form Broncos from over the years. What worked out was the longer of the two three speed shift rod off my V8 ‘72 Bronco. The shifter rod had all the right bends needed to line up for the gear selector arm and even the gear selector arm’s hardware fir the shift rod perfectly. I even had enough play for adjustments for to line up the gear selector indicator on the column.

Unless I’m overlooking something I don’t think I need to use any of the aftermarket parts except the kick down cable.

Any thoughts. I’ll try to post pictures tomorrow, Jeff

Attachments

• 8F3D01E1-7404-4CC4-9B75-040007F07683.jpeg
    8F3D01E1-7404-4CC4-9B75-040007F07683.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CD08BEA3-631E-4177-96E8-7ACC502194EE.jpeg
    CD08BEA3-631E-4177-96E8-7ACC502194EE.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
I still have the Lokar kick down cable kit so need to still install that.