• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cassette player

ksbronco75

Contributor
Any know of any years, styles, or models of cassette players that will fit halfway decently with clearance in a bronco dash? PO cut dash and I just have a little cubby tray in there now. Was curious if anyone had tried rocking a cassette player. CDs love to skip in my center console radio I have now

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
My college roommate put an AM/FM + cassette deck in his 77. I can’t remember how much we cut out in the dashboard. It was a Kenwood unit, as I recall. Only problem was some of the back roads we traveled were rough enough to eject the tape.

R

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
My college roommate put an AM/FM + cassette deck in his 77. I can’t remember how much we cut out in the dashboard. It was a Kenwood unit, as I recall. Only problem was some of the back roads we traveled were rough enough to eject the tape.

R
😂😂 well lucky for me this one doesn’t take backroads anymore

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I forget what model my Kenwood is, but after looking long and hard for something that was high-quality sound, and not too big of body, I found one that actually had a separate amplifier.
So the front section was a third smaller than the others, and it fit right in the dash with just the normal minimal cutting for the face.
This was just about the time the removable face plates were becoming popular because of theft, but this one had a regular old, two stem two knob, set up with small push buttons for other functions.
It didn’t do everything the others did, but it had great sound and treated the tapes very well. Never had a jam up in all the time I used it.
But the key was the separate amp section. Of course, that was hard to find a place for, but I ended up screwing it straight up top on the underside of the cowl.

Still in the dash today in fact!
Guess I’ll have to go out and look for a model number next time I get a chance.😁

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I love this. Coming from someone that still has a functional 8 track in a vehicle and several with cassette players I can appreciate it.

I believe my 74 has a low dollar audiovox player that still works. I'll have to check.

Some aren't into the old stuff which is fine. I have tried some of the newer options and just as happy with the old stuff.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hear ya. My last newer car was a 2004. Reason I stuck to that year was because it was the last one of the models I could find that had both a cassette player and a CD player!
I had so many of both, I just wanted to be able to use them when I needed it.

I was a very late adopter of cassettes, because my Motorola 8-Track player was so good and had such a slick, rich sound, that I just didn’t want to go to the cassette.
Obviously, the writing was on the wall, but it still took me years to change over. By then though, there were already numerous new choices.
I love that I have all my music on the computer and can put it on a drive, but I find nothing wrong at all, with carrying a box of cassettes or a tracks and flipping them in when I want to.

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
I hear ya. My last newer car was a 2004. Reason I stuck to that year was because it was the last one of the models I could find that had both a cassette player and a CD player!
I had so many of both, I just wanted to be able to use them when I needed it.

I was a very late adopter of cassettes, because my Motorola 8-Track player was so good and had such a slick, rich sound, that I just didn’t want to go to the cassette.
Obviously, the writing was on the wall, but it still took me years to change over. By then though, there were already numerous new choices.
I love that I have all my music on the computer and can put it on a drive, but I find nothing wrong at all, with carrying a box of cassettes or a tracks and flipping them in when I want to.
Do you tow a trailer behind the bronco to carry those 8-track cassets?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha, nah. Just another Bronco with a tow bar and no seats.
Actually, since I was a skeptic, and never wanted anybody to break in and take all my precious music, that I had worked so hard to record, and pay for, I only carried around 10 at a time in a case anyway.
After I listen to them, I’d simply rotate from my main stash at home. 👍🏼

Lawndart

Loc.
Mine was cut for a 1-DIN radio.
I was thinking about using a FOMOCO stereo from the 80s.
Does anyone know if these are 1-DIN?
They seem larger in photos -
53530249895_2211ec83bc_c.jpg

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha, I have a cassette player I got from a list member here that I just had to have. I have two I may use on my next cut Bronco.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

R

kenwood always been reliable

wsager

Mine was cut for a 1-DIN radio.
I was thinking about using a FOMOCO stereo from the 80s.
Does anyone know if these are 1-DIN?
They seem larger in photos -
53530249895_2211ec83bc_c.jpg
I think the early 90’s Taurus radios were single din.

That one there appears taller, but probably not by much. Is that late 80’s?

Lawndart

Loc.
I think the early 90’s Taurus radios were single din.

That one there appears taller, but probably not by much. Is that late 80’s?
I was a bit unclear, I am casually looking for one and that one pictured is early-mid 80s from ebay (Mustang, Econoline, etc). I just thought it looked the part and I like knobs better than buttons.

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Haha, nah. Just another Bronco with a tow bar and no seats.
Actually, since I was a skeptic, and never wanted anybody to break in and take all my precious music, that I had worked so hard to record, and pay for, I only carried around 10 at a time in a case anyway.
After I listen to them, I’d simply rotate from my main stash at home. 👍🏼
I just can’t figure and remember I wasn’t the best at working on my shoulders and head but I could never figure out how long it took me to install my cassette radio, which usually was an all day Saturday even working into Sunday, then a thief had it out in minutes, just saying! Also I used a Pioneer if I got the spelling right🤪