• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

order for doing Double Cardan U-Joints

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Just wondering if there was a best order for doing the Double Cardan U-Joints in the EB?

THX,
-JB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As in, disassembling for new parts, then reassembling?
Been so long, I don't remember. I just stumbled through it in what seemed the best (only?) order I could think of.
Luckily for me I did not need any new yokes or centering balls as mine were in good shape from having kept them well lubed.

Interested to hear what the experts have to say on the matter. But I also bet there are some good instructions printed out by the Dana/Spicer company from the old days.

Good luck

Paul

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Both are good videos. Pretty sure I’m going to need this info sooner rather than later.
Thanks for posting!

Randy

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Just looked into doing this on my explorer. This was the best video i found:

I hate when people make things look easy ;) Who would restore the center yoke. wow, gotta admire the commitment, I bought all new and basically followed the order in the video. Needles dropper 2 or 3 times and I had to start over, but finally got it. You need about 5 hands and a helper isn't much use.
  1. Put the driveshaft in a clamp
  2. Hold U-joint with first hand
  3. Hold/position H-block with second hand
  4. Position U-joint caps with third hand
  5. Use fourth hand to turn the clamp
One hint I have after several tries: Position U-joint into all the way into first cap so needle bearings can't fall or get pushed out of place and then use the clamp to push first cap way past the snap-ring position(almost as far as you can press it, but NOT all the way through so it is loose inside the yoke, it must remain in the hole), then press second cap by hand and move U-joint so it engages needles in second cap but does not disengage needles in first cap. Put snap-ring in first cap and press second cap until first cap moves back and is seated on snap-ring. If you try to press both caps at same time like in video, any misalignment will cause needles to fall in one of the caps and you will have to start over.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if you’ve never done a u-joint of any kind before, don’t be skeptical about how easily the needles can drop out of their little pocket of grease.
It happens far too often to be considered an occasional thing.
It’s easy to be diligent and have them stand in place, but it’s far too easy to get a tiny little bit careless, and have one or more fall out.
And when we say fall out, I mean one can come loose and remain inside the cap. So when you press the cap on, you distort the needles and make it useless.
Having to purchase a new joint.