• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 Ford Bronco 302 Intake Manifold

tonytony9

Contributor
Hi all,

After clean up found the culprit of my oil leak (well, one of them), front corners and rear of the intake manifold, typical spots. I am going to tackle this weekend. I am going to using the Felpro Gasket Kit as well as Permatex Ultra Black.

Is upgrading to the ARP bolts worth it? I am definitely replacing, just not sure if I should head over to my local hardware store instead. If so, what material for the bolt should I use? I am keeping my stock manifold. Going to put it in a harbor freight path to get it clean, and then respray it with some Ford Corporate Blue.

Thank you

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
When using the Fel-pro, make sure you get the 1250S-3 gaskets and not the regular 1250. Simple GOOGLE search will answer any questions you have on why :rolleyes: :geek:

I run studs instead of bolts. Not saying that's any better or worse, just what I run. I would find grade 8 bolts if you're replacing. Not that they are heavily torqued but they will hold up. Most folks I know just clean up the originals. Are your originals toast??

NJBronk

Contributor
Get the Permatex in the can with a trigger - makes it so much easier to lay the bead on the front and back than trying to squeeze a tube...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No, ARP bolts are not worth the expense for a stock cast iron intake. There is so little stress on the intake you could run the lowest grade bolt that doesn't fall apart in your hand and it would be fine.

OP
OP
tonytony9

tonytony9

Contributor
When using the Fel-pro, make sure you get the 1250S-3 gaskets and not the regular 1250. Simple GOOGLE search will answer any questions you have on why :rolleyes: :geek:

I run studs instead of bolts. Not saying that's any better or worse, just what I run. I would find grade 8 bolts if you're replacing. Not that they are heavily torqued but they will hold up. Most folks I know just clean up the originals. Are your originals toast??
So, I bought this at AutoZone yesterday. No SKU or part number anywhere so im not sure which Fel-Pro gasket it is. Feels heavy and stiff, maybe has the steel core? Going to find out if they have in stock the exact part you are referring to.

This gasket even look correct?

53634109463_0ae0a9aa0e_b.jpg

53633898106_882ab40c88_b.jpg

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
The gasket you returned is 90103-1.

Biggest differences between them are:
  1. Opening for crossover passage, I think it is for exhaust to preheat intake and for EGR valve
  2. Water jacket passages at ends are larger on the 1250 S-3. Check it against head and intake for possible leaking to intake bolt holes.

1712366298099.png

OP
OP
tonytony9

tonytony9

Contributor

1. Opening for crossover passage, I think it is for exhaust to preheat intake and for EGR valve
  2. Water jacket passages at ends are larger on the 1250 S-3. Check it against head and intake for possible leaking to intake bolt holes.

View attachment 922672
Thank you that was a helpful visual!

I am going to run over to Harbor Freight to grab the bolts this morning. Cut the heads off my old ones to use as studs to drop the manifold on for positioning. Does anyone know the length/size bolt I need?

OP
OP
tonytony9

tonytony9

Contributor

View attachment 922672
I like the 90103-1 ???:oops::rolleyes::oops:
I'm not sure those raised lips are going to work... I got mine on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQK84C/?tag=classicbroncos-20

I bought myself a machine wash tub and some degreaser solution from Harbor Freight. Going to drop the intake manifold and air cleaner in the tub to clean it out (original both). Any brushes I should avoid using?

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Tony, you said a parts cleaning tub. If it's just the tub with out a pump this will work for you.

Performance Tool W197C Parts... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N37BEC/?tag=classicbroncos-20.

If you bought one with a pump this is a nice one to have.

Oriflo With Hose (OR101H)... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U7LUVSI/?tag=classicbroncos-20

I bought both of these this past winter for replacements and so far they have held up well. I like a little point to the end of the bristles for getting into tight spots.

The type of cleaner you are using may make a difference in what you should use. I'm using Stoddard solvent.

Good to see you are slowing down some before spending money.

Contributor
I always take parts to the $1 pressure wash with some degreaser and a brush. I’m sure they love me.

OP
OP
tonytony9

tonytony9

Contributor
Tony, you said a parts cleaning tub. If it's just the tub with out a pump this will work for you.

Performance Tool W197C Parts... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N37BEC/?tag=classicbroncos-20.

If you bought one with a pump this is a nice one to have.

Oriflo With Hose (OR101H)... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U7LUVSI/?tag=classicbroncos-20

I bought both of these this past winter for replacements and so far they have held up well. I like a little point to the end of the bristles for getting into tight spots.

The type of cleaner you are using may make a difference in what you should use. I'm using Stoddard solvent.

Good to see you are slowing down some before spending money.
I got the tub with the pump/hose. The Oriflo tool looks great, thanks!