• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

proper way to fix this?

rockinrich

Contributor
My guess is cut the rust out and weld in a small piece of sheet metal,or could i spray a rust converter such as ospho on it and just lay some crappy tack welds to close it up,it's not a very wide gap at all,maybe a 1/4 inch at most in height any thoughts?Also if you look at the floor area to me it seems like just surface rust and feels solid so would it be a good idea to spray ospho on it?I plan on putting lizard skin on the floor later.

Attachments

• IMG_20240430_140410759.jpg
    IMG_20240430_140410759.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20240430_140347253.jpg
    IMG_20240430_140347253.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 55

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
The vendors sell d/s and p/s, for lack of a better word, patch panels. If your floors have a “see-through” section at all, it needs attention. My opinion here is if it’s rusted through at all, it’s just gonna get worse. You can cut out and replace the entire panel or just enough to get to solid metal and use whatever metal you choose, but it really needs repair.
My 2cents worth.

Randy

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
The vendors sell d/s and p/s, for lack of a better word, patch panels. If your floors have a “see-through” section at all, it needs attention. My opinion here is if it’s rusted through at all, it’s just gonna get worse. You can cut out and replace the entire panel or just enough to get to solid metal and use whatever metal you choose, but it really needs repair.
My 2cents worth.

Randy
I completely agree,i just want to take out what i have to,the floor itself is solid just some surface rust which hopefully i can take care of with some rust converter.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
i'd cut it out and buy the new floor board pieces to weld in.

I wouldn't bother buying a pre-fabbed floor patch panel for that. Cut all the rust out to good metal, get a piece of sheet metal the same gauge as the floor, gently bend it to match the angle at the firewall between two 4x6s, weld in the patch.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rusted area leading up to the gap will have eroded and be thinner than the parent material when new. Don't be afriad to cut back to the paint line for starters.
The bottom piece should be double layered with the floor support running underneath. You can see the spot weld dimples for refrence.

joshua

Contributor
I wouldn't bother buying a pre-fabbed floor patch panel for that. Cut all the rust out to good metal, get a piece of sheet metal the same gauge as the floor, gently bend it to match the angle at the firewall between two 4x6s, weld in the patch.
This is what I would do if the metal was good a couple inches away from the affected area. Especially if you have access to a metal brake/bender

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
that's what i was thinking,thank you.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
The rusted area leading up to the gap will have eroded and be thinner than the parent material when new. Don't be afriad to cut back to the paint line for starters.
The bottom piece should be double layered with the floor support running underneath. You can see the spot weld dimples for refrence.
right on,thank you.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Are you saying replace the whole floor?

no. i meant i'd probably cut away all rust from yours to see how much of the replacement board piece i'd use. if it's substantial enough, i'd buy the board and cut out that piece from it or potentially replace the entire board. my custom sheet metal skills aren't that great and i'd be factoring in the cost to buy a piece of sheet metal vs the replacement board

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
no. i meant i'd probably cut away all rust from yours to see how much of the replacement board piece i'd use. if it's substantial enough, i'd buy the board and cut out that piece from it or potentially replace the entire board. my custom sheet metal skills aren't that great and i'd be factoring in the cost to buy a piece of sheet metal vs the replacement board
I got ya,that makes sense,yeah my sheet metal skills are non existent lol,thank you.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Be careful cutting out rusty metal on Early Broncos. I started cutting the minimum amount, and ended up here…

Attachments

• IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0818.jpeg
    IMG_0818.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 25