• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator advice

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
I have narrowed my Radiator choice down to a Ron Davis at WildHorses 4x4 or the USA made aluminum one from Jeff’s Bronco. Has anyone had any experience with either one of these Radiators?

Contributor
What’s your reasoning for these two?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I have the Howe radiator from JBG. It is a VERY nice radiator and it works great but know that the description sucks and it is HUGE!

It took a lot of cutting brackets to make it fit, but it does.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
My reasoning is to get best radiator I can get. Both of these say they fit without modifications.
And made in the USA is important to me also.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
i've read that the aluminum radiators leak frequently. have you considered a copper or oem style radiator?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
My reasoning is to get best radiator I can get. Both of these say they fit without modifications.
And made in the USA is important to me also.
Without modifications is funny. The JBG one fits without modifications to the body, yes, that is true. I bought some EXTRA EXTRA large black bottom radiator mounts off someone on eBay and I used the JBG ones, that are actually Scott Drake and are way too small on top, but if you cut most of them off, they still look ok.

But, you have to cut most of them, literally. If you decide you're leaning towards the Howe JBG, look on my build thread, I'm sure I posted something there but happy to take some more pics if needed.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
Don’t really want to cut anything, if
I don’t have too.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
I thought the better built (USA made radiators don’t leak).

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
You could buy the ebay brackets and use top and bottom but they aren't really pretty on top.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I thought the better built (USA made radiators don’t leak).
Any radiator CAN leak. But if you buy either of those two, those people should stand behind it. I don't have a lot of miles on my Howe but it doesn't leak and the times I emailed Howe with questions, they responded quickly.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
yea, that’s good to hear. I don’t have I welder and I’m only a YouTube certified mechanic, so I don’t have a lot of expertise on custom mods.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Get the copper/brass replacement and dont look back. The aluminum corrode pretty quick in the elements or if you keep the coolant mixture perfect. They're also brittle if you like to bounce around in the bronco.

Mark1911

Ron Davis for myself, put in a couple of years back and been extremely happy with it.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Been running Tom’s aluminum 3 core stock replacement radiator for over a year. Perfect fit easy install and cools well. Runs 190-200 no matter the outside temp (100 plus summer time temps in NorCal are common).

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
If you still have an original radiator, you can take it to a radiator shop and have it rebuilt. They should be able to fix the tanks if they aren't too bad and put an entirely new core in with a 2 row or 3 row configuration. Probably won't be cheap, but it will definitely be better than a chinese made aluminum one. My local radiator shop quoted me $590 to rebuild mine if it needs an entire new core, but after looking at mine, I shouldn't need a new core.

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I've been using the Howe radiator from JBG since 2005, and it's been top-notch. While I'm not certain about any updates in design or manufacturing since then, based on its enduring performance, I would recommend it without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anoblefox

Contributor
The 4 core brass rad is still working great after allmost 40 years! It was purchased from K Bar S back in the day.