• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts on condition of piston,cylinder walls on engine sitting for 10 years.

rockinrich

Contributor
I'm going to post a couple pics after running a klein borescope into cylinders to check their condition,To me this borescope isn't the best whatsoever it was 40.00 on summit,i took 4 different pics of each piston and of the cylinder walls but when i looked at them it seemed like all four pics of each were the same,weird. but let me know if you can get a good idea what the condition of piston and cylinder walls are.All of the cylinders are very similar,also let me know what borescope you'd recommend.Also the motor supposedly has about 78,000 original miles on it.I can post more pics as well.

Attachments

• ET16_20240509114007.jpg
    ET16_20240509114007.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 58
  • ET16_20240509113921.jpg
    ET16_20240509113921.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
cannot tell,. other than it does not appear like rust. Run it. Might squirt some oil spray mist to protect during startup

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
cannot tell,. other than it does not appear like rust. Run it. Might squirt some oil spray mist to protect during startup
I need a better borescope,I was told to spray some mystery oil down the plug hole,not sure how much you can spray it down the hole more of a stream,will that suffice?

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Looking at the pic of the piston,it may not look that bad but when you bring the piston up close to the top the camera makes the carbon on it look a lot worse,what have you guys done to get rid of the carbon or is it nothing to worry about?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Spray some oil
Turn it over without plugs.
Install plugs
Run it.

Or budget money for a full rebuild. Take it completely apart and treat it as a core, do a full rebuild on an engine that looks like it doesn't need it. I see dished pistons, so a stock low compression engine. Run it as it and be happy. If there are issues, it will be the same to fix them later. The only thing you are risking is a few quarts of oil and some coolant.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Spray some oil
Turn it over without plugs.
Install plugs
Run it.

Or budget money for a full rebuild. Take it completely apart and treat it as a core, do a full rebuild on an engine that looks like it doesn't need it. I see dished pistons, so a stock low compression engine. Run it as it and be happy. If there are issues, it will be the same to fix them later. The only thing you are risking is a few quarts of oil and some coolant.
you make sense,thank you sir!

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Marine fogging oil works really well too

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it's a manual, start it in neutral with your foot off the clutch. Thrust bearing on the crank would likely be dry and no reason to start grinding on that surface.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
If it's a manual, start it in neutral with your foot off the clutch. Thrust bearing on the crank would likely be dry and no reason to start grinding on that surface.
right on good to know,thank you.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Let me ask this,i have that tool you use on the distributor that primes the oil pump,is this something you'd recommend as well or would you just shoot some oil down the spark plug hole?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No reason you shouldn't use it. I don't know the history of the engine. I would be inclined to just spin it with the starter with the plugs out. I am also known for rolling a truck off a trailer and popping the clutch in gear to bring the truck to a stop. Feels like the engine has compression, guess I can go ahead and invest in a starter to make it a runner. Made a good farm truck.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
No reason you shouldn't use it. I don't know the history of the engine. I would be inclined to just spin it with the starter with the plugs out. I am also known for rolling a truck off a trailer and popping the clutch in gear to bring the truck to a stop. Feels like the engine has compression, guess I can go ahead and invest in a starter to make it a runner. Made a good farm truck.
Lmao! Thanks man,i believe my bronco had 2 owners and i think the mileage is legit about 88 k.I guess you're supposed to turn it counterclockwise? Should i remove the valve covers and turn it until i see oil coming up through everywhere?

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
fogging oil, that's the magical secret name I couldn't recall!

Now, back to that other thing im doing...

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
is there anything i need to do to the oil pump itself before i start spinning the distributor counterclockwise?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lmao! Thanks man,i believe my bronco had 2 owners and i think the mileage is legit about 88 k.I guess you're supposed to turn it counterclockwise? Should i remove the valve covers and turn it until i see oil coming up through everywhere?
Which will shortly turn into rebuilding the engine...
Yes, Spin the pump CCW.

88k original miles, bet the timing chain is toast. Even more so since it would have had that nylon coated aluminum timing gear.

Somewhere you have to draw a line between fixing everything, doing a full rebuild. And just get it running and drive it the way it is.
The last one I had I got running good enough to drive it around and enjoy it, with all the faults it still had. At which point I could fix some easy ones and work on a plan for the bigger ones. I could never have made that bigger plan if I had not just got it running and let the truck tell me what it wanted done to it. Which was a bit different than the before I drove it a bunch plan, which would have been wrong.

I'm going to say fog it, spin it with the starter, toss some plugs in it, see if it will start. Go for a drive.