• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing rear flares

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
I’m cutting my 75 Ranger rear quarters for flares to fit 15x10 MT Classics and 33x12.50 BF Goodrich KOs I’ve centered the flares to the axle, but the I’ve seen them centered to the quarter. Just curious to which way most people do it.
IMG_0771.jpeg IMG_0772.jpeg IMG_0774.jpeg

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I centered mine to the axle for better tire clearance to the front, bottom corner of the wheel well opening.

IMG_1811.jpeg IMG_1814.jpeg

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
Thank you, I will tape it off before I mark and cut it
Ive had it for over 10 years and have wanted to cut since I got it, just tried to keep it stock, just don‘t Like the tiny tire look.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A few things to consider:

1) The closer the ends are together, the higher the center which leaves a big gap between the tire and the flare
2) If you lift the suspension, the axle tends to move forward reducing the gap to the front flare and increasing the gap to the back
3) Like Jeff, I like to have it as centered over the axle as possible
4) I dislike flares that extend into the tail light housing
5) try to keep the braces to the quarter panel. If you have to cut the connecting point off, make a new point to add the braces.
6) Don't cut so much that the rear gas filler pipe sticks out in the wheel well.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
Thank you Bronco Guru, I will keep that in mind.
I have the Duck Tuff 2.5 inch kit on it. New leafs on the back. the 33x12.50’s will fill the hole a bit better than the 31x10.50’s that’s on it now.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
i Have the body lines lined up and measured exactly like the drivers side, but the front of the flares is lower. Anyone know a trick to level the flare out?
IMG_0789.jpeg IMG_0788.jpeg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Frankly, with two gas tanks, I always prefer the flares centered on the filler caps. And then move the axle back to recenter, if needed.
But that’s why we make bigger flares nowadays, wit more of an angle on the front so they can be moved rearward a little bit, and still have more clearance at that leading edge.
Definitely doesn’t look good with the flares, not centered under the caps, OR the tires not centered under the flares.
Talk about a two edged sword!

What flares are those? Fiberglass?
Oops! Just saw your comment.

Big Slim

i used a plumb bob to get mark on the fender to be centered on the axle.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
just ordered a new set of rear flares from WildHorses. The ones I have are old and I guess I’ll trash them unless someone wants them. They are free just come and get them if you live close to Corbin/Williamsburg/London, KY. I’m in Lexington KY and Knoxville TN fairly often and cloud meet somewhere and Hand them off.