• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lowest pressure for non beadlock Wheels

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So I'm running 17 inch non beadlock aluminum rims, I was wondering what the lowest pressure I can safely run in my tires is for cinders and sand?

THX,
JB

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Too many variables.
17" has nearly no impact
Tire width and wheel width are the bit ones. Diameter also plays in. For 17" I will just assume radial at this point.
Cinders and sand can go lower than the rocks most of the time. Rocks tend to put the weight on the sidewall, pretty much worst case. As long as you are just going up/down and not loading the sidewalls, minimal risk of pushing one off sideways.

Best I can guess, low teens.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Wheel is 17X9 and tires are BFG A/T 35X12.5.
I was thinking 12-16 PSI, depending on how soft the surface?

THX,
JB

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That's the right ballpark.
How you are driving it also play in. Just out for a cruise, or testing how much HP is under the hood.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Rim brand and tire brand are huge variables.

You can have same size rim and tire right next to each other and they will act totally different. We've been thru this several times in soft snow which is much more forgiving than sand.

Just don't go FAST or turn the steering wheel sharply or you might find out how fast the tire goes flat. :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We've been thru this several times in soft snow which is much more forgiving than sand.
Yeah, except that the water acts as a lubricant for the bead to use to peel itself right off the wheel!
The cold is good, the fact that the "water" is solid most of the time is good. But eventually it turns into water again, and starts it's lubrication duties.

Paul

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Thanks for the advise @nvrstuk @DirtDonk.
I would prefer not, but if I loose a bead, i have compressor, spare & tools.
Plan on keeping it on the higher end of aired-down in most situations!

-JB

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I have run down to around 12 psi in the rocks w/o an issue but maybe I was lucky. I now have beadlocks.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yeah, except that the water acts as a lubricant for the bead to use to peel itself right off the wheel!
The cold is good, the fact that the "water" is solid most of the time is good. But eventually it turns into water again, and starts it's lubrication duties.

Paul
Yeah, but until you lose a bead there's no water there yet to act as the lubricant, because if there is you've already lost air!

We used to run 10psi in snow. I have a video buried in my phone with my daughter & I doing 60 mph with waaaay too low air pressure (pre bead lock days) across deep snow.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Without beadlocks, I always ran 10-12 PSI in my truck, trailer, etc, whatever was going out in the dunes. Anything higher and I tended to dig-in and get stuck, and anything lower and I'd run the risk of losing a bead, or getting enough sand in the bead, that it would need to be dismounted anyway to be cleaned so that it could hold air again. My friends and acquaintances who thought 4-8 PSI was a good idea tended to spend more time working on tires than driving 'em.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
As others said, too many variables. I've run as low as 8 psi on one set comfortably, had a different wheel/tire combo that anything below 20 was asking for trouble. Outside of that particular set I've never had anything that wouldn't do at least 12.

Nothing Special

I run 11 psi and haven't had any trouble.

As for my variables, that's with 33/12.50-15 ProComp Xtreme MT on steel wheels. Mostly rock crawling, but I did play in the sane at Sand Hollow on one trip. I have a stockish 302 and about a 70:1 crawl ratio. I drive like I don't want to break anything, but I still do some pretty hard trails and obstacles

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
BFG AT KO? 5 - 12 or 16 -20 ?

on bead lock or rim lock a plate runs round rim on inside of tire & that outside thing we see see has thru bolt to it?
Outside plate, rim/tire, inside plate sandwich, above tire - ie no holes in tire?

Those can go down to 2, 3 lbs psi?
All psi lowering assumes low MPH ? How low? (I no depends on surface)
What isa ‘cinders’ condition. Dont believe we have that back east (running a dry river corse?)

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
BFG AT KO? 5 - 12 or 16 -20 ?

on bead lock or rim lock a plate runs round rim on inside of tire & that outside thing we see see has thru bolt to it?
Outside plate, rim/tire, inside plate sandwich, above tire - ie no holes in tire?

Those can go down to 2, 3 lbs psi?
All psi lowering assumes low MPH ? How low? (I no depends on surface)
What isa ‘cinders’ condition. Dont believe we have that back east (running a dry river corse?)
Volcanic cinders. They're like tiny sharp pea gravel on down to talcum powder. They're also pretty light so they like to get out of the way of tires trying to push on them, unlike traditional beach sand or dune sand.
Climbing a cinder cone can present 30 40 50% grades and quite a challenge.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
a beed lock is same as rim lock? Is 4 plates? 2 on each rim (of 1 tire), inside’n outside?
Squishing rim & tire between these plates? No nuts. Inner plate has threads to catch the bolt driven from outside?

Up here we winter race on ice w/nails thru tire. "Bead lock" is new to me...

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A little nostalgia. My dad was kind of a pioneer of running in our local sand dunes back in the 50s. He built a machine to split rims, roll spacers, and weld em. Made a zillion when the VW scooters caught on. We ran about 5 psi with tubes until implement tires became available. They used a tire inflator that screwed into a spark plug hole. It had a check valve that let air in and on the intake and power stroke. And pumped on the compression stroke. Had to pump up for the flat tow home.

IMG_3489.jpeg
IMG_3490.jpeg

The Hamlin Lake dunes was a great playground to grow up with in your back yard. We road dune scooters and snowmobiles there for years. Finally got closed down when purchased by the State Park when it got inundated by VW dune scooters. Too many and too much trash including pull tabs and broken bottles. Many used for target practice.

Pretty much a wilderness area now with very little foot traffic.

We did have about 10 acres of sand hills on the old farm. Some pretty nice hills. When the farm got sold it was mined off.

Keep telling my brother we grew up in the best of times. Private, state, and federal land was wide open for our dune scooters, snowmobiles, and dirt bikes.

Silver Lake, about 30 miles south, is still open but pretty tightly controlled.

Last edited: