• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Purchase Road Trip

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
The only reason to take Interstate 5 is because you want to get to your destination in the most boring and efficient manner possible. There are multiple alternate routes near the coast that are trailer friendly, and vastly more interesting.
Couldn't agree more with this^^^

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Thanks for all the input guys! I should have made it more clear that I am planning on heading out from NC on 40 taking the quickest way there and then taking a little more scenic route on the way home. It looks like I will have right at 13-14 days for the entire trip.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Driveway space available in Fremont, CA 94536

You show Campbell, CA 95008 as a destination. That's an oddly specific location.

You might reconsider your priorities in your journey from Santa Rosa to Los Angeles. The only reason to take Interstate 5 is because you want to get to your destination in the most boring and efficient manner possible. There are multiple alternate routes near the coast that are trailer friendly, and vastly more interesting.

I will actually be going from LA to Campbell and then to Santa Rosa from there. I may not even have to go into LA but I may be picking up a motorcycle there. That is TBD. I'm certainly interested in hearing thoughts on better roads that are still trailer friendly. I've driven 1 south from SF to LA but I'm guessing it will be busy and isn't the most trailer friendly with traffic.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Give us an eta on the Oklahoma portion of the I40 route, I'm sure some of us can make it.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Buncha cell numbers JUST on The ROUTE. (break downs, gas fills, good road houses & specific items on the menu, v e r y near sights to see, assistance in difficulty). We gotta guy last yr from the gold coast of Fla (Ft Myers) to past Houston.
Showed ‘em the blues playin crab houses, st camp grounds, etc.
He gota just bought restored '65 Willies home to TX. (‘$58 1 way plane; 1K mi, 20 hr straight drive) in 4 days of pleasure’n ease.
Just need ON the Direct route - say every 100, 200 mi if possible but anything like it works... dedicated ppl who WILL B there @ specific times (say 5 hrs on
specific day). Takes a lill math and understanding. PPPP (or whatever) Pre Planning Preparation Proves Powerful (is that it?). Some even take a camera for vids rather than books...

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Takes a lill math and understanding. PPPP (or whatever) Pre Planning Preparation Proves Powerful (is that it?). Some even take a camera for vids rather than books...
OR, in the alternative, Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

That was the mantra for the “higher ups” in the USDA agency I worked at for 20 years a lifetime ago. Lol

Randy

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I will actually be going from LA to Campbell and then to Santa Rosa from there. I may not even have to go into LA but I may be picking up a motorcycle there. That is TBD. I'm certainly interested in hearing thoughts on better roads that are still trailer friendly. I've driven 1 south from SF to LA but I'm guessing it will be busy and isn't the most trailer friendly with traffic.
Gotcha! You are doing the circle backwards from what I had assumed.

For some reason, I had you going from NC to Cleveland...and I figured you would pick up a body tub in Michigan on your empty trailer, and bring it to CA. I'm sure that someone here would pay for your fuel to deliver one of those fancy robot welded Broncos to the west coast.

But if you are going clockwise, then I can see your bee-line west, and a bit more scenery on the way back home. Might think of stopping at all of the Bronco vendors on your way. Make them give you a free hat or t-shirt or something. ( I wish I needed something delivered! )

James Duff, (somewhere in TN)
BC Broncos (somewhere in TX)
Beach City Broncos in San Diego.
Wild Horses 4x4 (somewhere in Lodi)

101 North out of LA will get you to Campbell, and to the beach, and thru Paso Robles, home of Advance Adapters.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Hey Guys,

renting a uhaul out in Cali. I will be pulling it with my 2014 F250 6.7L 4X4.

If renting U-haul, verify if their wheel nets will fit on the tires on your Bronco.
Also may be cheaper to rent in AZ or NV. Most of the U-hauls have left CA, and not come back.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
If renting U-haul, verify if their wheel nets will fit on the tires on your Bronco.
Also may be cheaper to rent in AZ or NV. Most of the U-hauls have left CA, and not come back.
Smart call! I wouldn't have even thought about that until I got into Cali probably. It is looking like I may haul a bronco out for someone.

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
Hit me up when you come through Tulsa, OK!

There is a sweet Baja around Oklahoma city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
I see now, you’re staying on I40…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you brought this back up Todd! Can’t believe I missed it the first time around.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Hey guys,

Unfortunately some work stuff came up that is pushing this trip back a couple weeks. I will certainly update this when I finally get on the road.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like an adventure! I’d duck south of Cleveland and avoid the 80-90 mess. 80 through Chicago is a bumper car rally too. About 30 miles worth. There’s a deadman’s curve somewhere in Cleveland too.

Last edited:

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
“...pushing this trip back a couple weeks..."
oh, I thought U were off already.

Just means more time to gather more cellie’s I have not been following.
Is there spaces open along the route? Ie have U got links each 500 mi
or 10 hrs or so to other CB folks willing to B on a cell phone list? Remember
what we did for the Willys guy posted in # 25 above. He hada great time~

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Looks like an adventure! I’d duck south of Cleveland and avoid the 80-90 mess. 80 through Chicago is a bumper car rally too. About 30 miles worth. There’s a deadman’s curve somewhere in Cleveland too.

Here ya go Dave! My Brother has gone thru there a number of times headed for Maine to se family and said it is pretty crazy! I have to open it in a new tab. It should open in the street view window and if you close that it will return to the map.

Last edited:

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Funny, we went through there one trip with the motorhome and jeep hangin on behind visiting friends in Ba Haba. You get those that don’t believe the sign and locals that see it as a challenge. There was a semi on its side with a car underneath second time through. As least the traffic was stop and go. The video does not do it justice! 😱

I can’t count the number of times we done I80 through Chicago going back and forth from Colorado to Michigan. Do the posted speed and you’ll get your as run over. Constant jockeying for position on about 8 lanes. Many short notice peal offs to stay on the route and pay tolls. Plenty of chances to find yourself heading north into Chicago. Just because the navigator tells you to get into the left 2 lanes doesn’t mean the trucks a local will let you. Turn signals mean speed up because that guy is going try to take your lane. We got stopped in Joliet once so they could search our Colorado SUV for guns and pot. “Following too close” Got a warning.

There’s a giant truck stop called Iowa 80 that is a good fuel/food stop with a museum with some nice old vehicles to drool over.

Last edited:

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
90 into 20 or the right angle on 90 is SHARP (down to 35 MPHs).
Guess they difnt wanna take much of the city away. Good. But
that’s amazing. I came W to E on 90 & dont remember it.
Here we have S curves and other oddities (older prt of country)
on interstate but that wins the cake.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
There’s a giant truck stop called Iowa 80 that is a good fuel/food stop with a museum with some nice old vehicles to drool over.
I missed seeing it a number of years back due to a tight schedule and didn’t happen to need fuel or food then. :(

Headed for Fort Wayne with a small box truck of audio gear and probably hit that stretch of I80 and toll road through Chicago and Gary about mid afternoon. Somewhere I have a pic of the welcome to Indiana sign…needless to say that was taken through the windshield. LOL We were glad to drop down to good ole highway 30 for the last miles. That was a colorful drive thru IN In October. :)

Last edited: