• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Three on the tree shift problem

Jonathan_Cole

66 bronco straight 6 with 3 speed. I had an issue with shifting into 2nd and 3rd a while back. The shift collar was split so I replaced it. I decided to go ahead and replace the shifter bushings at the time. While I had it apart I found that the collar on the shift tube was broken. I had that fixed. I got everything back together and it still doesn't want to shift into 2nd and 3rd. When parked in the garage I can go through all gears. When driving it doesn't want to shift.

NJBronk

Contributor
Did you adjust the shift linkage on the transmission side (putting a drill bit through the holes on the shift arms at the column side to keep them in neutral and then repositioning at the transmission side)?

When I rebuilt my column, which had worn bushings between the shift arms, I had to adjust everything now that the shift arms actually stayed in place. If your 1st/reverse isn't shifting back into neutral, then the transmission won't allow it to shift into 2nd/3rd.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan_Cole

I adjusted the rods and still have the same issue. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

NJBronk

Contributor
Can you manually shift the transmission arms at the transmission using your hands? Could be internal to the trans?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan_Cole

Njbronk, I believe you are correct and the 1 lever is not completely returning to neutral which locks out the 3/4 lever.

I believe I adjusted the rods correctly per instructions.

Is there something else that would cause the 1/R lever to not return to neutral?

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Won't shift when engine is running, I am leaning toward 2nd & 3rd synchros.
I would agree with this.^^^^
If the problem was your linkage, I don't think you'd be able to go through the gears in the garage when not running.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan_Cole

I would agree with this.^^^^
If the problem was your linkage, I don't think you'd be able to go through the gears in the garage when not running.

If it is the synchro's, wouldn't it grind when it does go into gear when running?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan_Cole

While still fighting with this column I'm seeing two issues now.

The first, I don't really know how far to clock the white spacer between the shift levers.

The second, as I've seen in another thread, I don't know that the replacement shift collar is allowing the shift tube to push down as far as it should.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan_Cole

Just to update this thread.

I ended up taking the column to an old friend of mine who has been building cars for probably 40+ years with experience in custom vehicles as well as NASCAR.

He took everything apart and found a few issues. 1) where the shift levers go into the column was just way too sloppy. I don't know how he did it, but he tightened up the clearance there.

2) I had two shift tubes. One with a good top and one with a good bottom. He took two and made one. He cut them apart and tig welded them together.

3) the new shift collar wasn't correct. I had noticed when I bolted the turn signal housing back on previously it put everything in a bind unless the bolts were just over finger tight. He found a difference of something like 20 thousands between the two collars and ground out some material on the new one to make the clearance correct.

I put the column back in yesterday and finished it up this morning. Per the manual I locked the upper shift arms together with a drill bit. On the transmission the manual says to adjust until the linkage goes through the lever then back off 7 turns. 7 didn't work, 6 seemed to be the sweet spot.

We took it for a drive earlier. It has never shifted this smooth.