• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carbon fiber body panels for a ‘72

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks Steve, yeah, I’ll do those if I can’t find the carbon fiber. I’d love to get all that weight off from way up high though. I’ve also seen hoods buckle in the middle with those, so I’d need to add more weight with supports. But that would be the top option, I agree.
With the new versions using hood shocks and the included long metal strap that gets glued underneath to stiffen things up, you would need to have a very compromised hood for it to buckle IMO.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

Not sure exactly what I would charge, need to do a cost breakdown of all the materials, haven’t priced carbon in a few years. Definitely don’t aim to gouge anyone on price, especially fellow board members. But it would definitely cost more than a fiberglass hood. Not a super definitive answer but it’s all I got for now!
The guy on Ebay (link above👆) wants $3K and won’t share any details of its origin. Too pricey, and too sketchy for me. It’s great that we have this dialogue going Dylan. Maybe if you move ahead, you can bring us along for the process? Maybe even on YouTube? I’d follow you for sure, and it would give buyers a ton of confidence To buy.

Dylan_Shaffer

Contributor
Loc.
Huntington Beach
I’ll definitely do a build thread at minimum to document things, never done the YouTube thing but I could give it a try. I’d also agree 3k is steep, these are broncos and not Ferraris! I still haven’t done the full cost analysis but I imagine the price will fall between the 1-2k range to make it worth doing. I’ve started ordering materials and getting my garage organized/set up.
I checked out that eBay ad, definitely lacking in the info department and the website linked on the listing is also lacking in info. The inner edges look rough but the outside doesn’t look too bad is all I can make of the ad. I’d also be suspicious if there’s not a ton of info or discourse, many aftermarket carbon parts are carbon on the outer layers and fiberglass on the inside, with a thick coat of epoxy/clear coat to mask defects.

The hoods I do will be all carbon and will be made using the vacuum assisted resin transfer method (dry fabric layup, vacuum bag and then pull resin through under vacuum), oven cured (room temp cured carbon shouldn’t be used for hoods due to the heat they’ll be subject to covering the engine bay) and then clear coated for uv stability (optional).

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

I’ll definitely do a build thread at minimum to document things, never done the YouTube thing but I could give it a try. I’d also agree 3k is steep, these are broncos and not Ferraris! I still haven’t done the full cost analysis but I imagine the price will fall between the 1-2k range to make it worth doing. I’ve started ordering materials and getting my garage organized/set up.
I checked out that eBay ad, definitely lacking in the info department and the website linked on the listing is also lacking in info. The inner edges look rough but the outside doesn’t look too bad is all I can make of the ad. I’d also be suspicious if there’s not a ton of info or discourse, many aftermarket carbon parts are carbon on the outer layers and fiberglass on the inside, with a thick coat of epoxy/clear coat to mask defects.

The hoods I do will be all carbon and will be made using the vacuum assisted resin transfer method (dry fabric layup, vacuum bag and then pull resin through under vacuum), oven cured (room temp cured carbon shouldn’t be used for hoods due to the heat they’ll be subject to covering the engine bay) and then clear coated for uv stability (optional).
That’s a reasonable price range IMO. Exciting stuff. Do you incorporate hinge and latch hardware? I’m curious how that works with carbon fiber so it doesn’t have weak points where it’ll crack. I’ve never worked with the material. Does it crack before bending and need reinforcement at stress points where metal is attached?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Side hustles are good. So let’s see what kind of interest we can gather.
I even have things for other cars that I’ve always wanted in carbon fiber, but never really thought much about it for the bronco.
make that extra jack :D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

100% brother...

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I’d also agree 3k is steep, these are broncos and not Ferraris!
Never know it looking at the prices the last few years just for used parts. Thanks for keeping yours real! You could probably ask 5 to 10k and have folks lining up with their wallets out. Just what it's turned into.

Dylan_Shaffer

Contributor
Loc.
Huntington Beach
That’s a reasonable price range IMO. Exciting stuff. Do you incorporate hinge and latch hardware? I’m curious how that works with carbon fiber so it doesn’t have weak points where it’ll crack. I’ve never worked with the material. Does it crack before bending and need reinforcement at stress points where metal is attached?
I could definitely add in all the mounting hardware if that’s desired. I really like the stainless hardware wildhorses provides.
All of the hard points will have extra plies of carbon as well as aluminum bonded into the laminate to help distribute loads. Carbon is generally better than fiberglass as far as cracking goes and can take a good deal of flex before it goes but it’s generally best to mount to a solid point, unless you go crazy thick on the laminate. The aluminum will be coated prior to bonding in and wrapped with a single layer of fiberglass to prevent galvanic corrosion (you need to isolate the aluminum from the carbon as they don’t play nice together).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

I could definitely add in all the mounting hardware if that’s desired. I really like the stainless hardware wildhorses provides.
All of the hard points will have extra plies of carbon as well as aluminum bonded into the laminate to help distribute loads. Carbon is generally better than fiberglass as far as cracking goes and can take a good deal of flex before it goes but it’s generally best to mount to a solid point, unless you go crazy thick on the laminate. The aluminum will be coated prior to bonding in and wrapped with a single layer of fiberglass to prevent galvanic corrosion (you need to isolate the aluminum from the carbon as they don’t play nice together).
This is quite an education, thank you.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I thought about doing a dash, hood, door panels etc then life happened ... married, kids etc ... i have rolls of fiber and matting just sitting lol ...im glad someone is picking up the torch!

Dylan_Shaffer

Contributor
Loc.
Huntington Beach
I thought about doing a dash, hood, door panels etc then life happened ... married, kids etc ... i have rolls of fiber and matting just sitting lol ...im glad someone is picking up the torch!
Definitely feel the life happens part! I’m prwtty busy with work and general life stuff. I’ve always wanted to make carbon bronco parts, going to do my best to prioritize this over some other projects I have going on.