• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Owner...

Senior one

I am a 78 year old man who must inherited a 1972 Bronco with some upgrades. Namely it has a new suspension and wheels/tires and new floor boards, and other odds and ends. I have never owned a Bronco or any other off-road vehicle so I'm in the dark about a lot of things. My main question is this. Nothing has been done to the floor boards after installation. I am bringing the truck up from Florida to Virginia to undergo further restoration. When I look at the photos of the new floor boards, I wonder what I can do or have done. I saw the tread about POR-15 but wonder if having Line-X coat the exposed metal would be just as good or better, and does it take anything away from the value of the Bronco? Should I then install rubber mat or carpet on top of the lining. or leave it as is? Your answer would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Senior One

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome Senior one! You've come to a great place for answers to your questions.

You'll get some great answers from others on here soon who know much more about Bronco's than I do. One question that may come up is "what are your plans for it?" Some of their answers may depend on if you are wanting to take it to shows, off roading, parade vehicle, etc.

OP
OP
S

Senior one

Bedliner removes value.
Thank you. So the best way to make sure it doesn't rust out again is what? Keep it covered and have undercoating applied? I probably will not keep the Bronco since I don't see myself off-roading but could put it in a few shows as things progress. Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

Senior one

Welcome Senior one! You've come to a great place for answers to your questions.

You'll get some great answers from others on here soon who know much more about Bronco's than I do. One question that may come up is "what are your plans for it?" Some of their answers may depend on if you are wanting to take it to shows, off roading, parade vehicle, etc.
Thanks. Probably not off roading until I get it checked out completely. Probably some shows but eventually I'll just sell the Bronco to someone who wants an early Bronco and will put it to good use.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome Sr. one.
KBS coatings is on the East Coast and have very good kits/colors to protect your metal panels.
Since your a new EB owner, be prepared for all the ladies flirting with you and occasional flashings, so keep your eyes on the road!!!

OP
OP
S

Senior one

Welcome Sr. one.
KBS coatings is on the East Coast and have very good kits/colors to protect your metal panels.
Since your a new EB owner, be prepared for all the ladies flirting with you and occasional flashings, so keep your eyes on the road!!!
BWAHAHAHA...they wouldn't get far! ;-) Thanks for the tip. I will do some research on KBS and see if they are close by. Thanks again.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My first bronco was 1985, I was 17 years old. I always ran a bikini top. My rear license plate cover said, "Take Your Top Off". Got lucky a few times!!!! LOL

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you have photos to prove floor was or is good, bedliner does not reduce value, and can offer sound and heat deadening.

OP
OP
S

Senior one

if you have photos to prove floor was or is good, bedliner does not reduce value, and can offer sound and heat deadening.
I do have photos of the new floor albeit just a couple of them. As soon as it arrives, it's one of my first steps before winter. Course it will be in the garage so not a immediate project but I want to get things like that done quickly. Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would say proper documentation may prevent as much loss in value. But not outright cancel it out.
Bedliner is one of those things that can be applied at any time, by anyone. But once it is on, the deed is done, no going back. I know I am not alone in bedliner being a deal breaker reguardless of how well work is done under it and how well documented it is. If someone really wants it, let them add it. If you are just looking to seal metal, bedliner isn't a good choice. There are better products out there as mentioned. No sense in making a choice that will take a fair chunk of potential buyers and make them look elsewhere.

OP
OP
S

Senior one

I would say proper documentation may prevent as much loss in value. But not outright cancel it out.
Bedliner is one of those things that can be applied at any time, by anyone. But once it is on, the deed is done, no going back. I know I am not alone in bedliner being a deal breaker reguardless of how well work is done under it and how well documented it is. If someone really wants it, let them add it. If you are just looking to seal metal, bedliner isn't a good choice. There are better products out there as mentioned. No sense in making a choice that will take a fair chunk of potential buyers and make them look elsewhere.
Thank you. Goof information and I will look at sealants to use to keep the new floor as pristine as possible. Hope to post some pictures soon but, here's one showing a partial view of the new floor. https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53935831043_a8350699e7_n.jpg and https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53935831043_a8350699e7_n.jpg