• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock 70 Bronco - Driving on the Beach

tonytony9

Contributor
Apologies if this is not the correct section of the forum for this type of discussion:

I would like to bring the Bronco on the beach for some fishing. Not far, maybe a half of mile there and back at most. Stock 1970 302, 3 on the tree, 225 75R15 AT tires, I need to confirm the gearing (although, it is a stock U15 with the heavy duty package). Just replaced all of the suspension, stock height, Bilstein, heavy duty hardware all around.

I used to drive on the beach pretty often with my Wrangler JKU a few years ago. So, I am more so looking for advice specific to driving a classic bronco on the beach. Better to use 4 High, 4 Low? Any specific order for shifting into 4 wheel (on the wrangler I used to do a slow rolling shift into 4 wheel). How about shifting back. Process to lock the front hubs.

I have never locked the front hubs or used the 4hi/low since I purchased. So, a nice on the road slow test around the block would be useful. A little nervous as she can dig in a bit even pulling out of the pebbles on my property not in 4.

SeaVee

Contributor
I used to run my stock Bronco all over the Outer Banks with no problem. Air your tires down to about 15-18 lbs. 4 Hi will be fine
IMG_1483.jpeg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's standard practice (well, it used to be!) to lock the hubs every once in awhile to run things in the diff and get the oil up to all the bits that don't normally get it in 2-wheel drive. And also, it's a good practice to leave the hubs unlocked, and shift the transfer case in to the different gears just to make sure it works and to make sure everything inside there is lubed up as well.
So do that from now on, when you think about it.

Drive it on the street in either of those scenarios, but don't drive it on the street much if you lock them both. You don't drive Broncos on the high-traction surfaces for very long in 4-wheel drive.
When you lock the hubs, drive around and take some slow hard turns. Make a couple of u-turns to see if the axle u-joints are free or binding. If binding, you'll feel the oscillation of the steering wheel
In fact, if you ever want to feel just what's going on up there. go ahead and shift into four-wheel drive with the hubs locked, and try to turn tight with the wheels almost all the way. You'll feel the wheel go back and forth, AND the truck with squiggle side to side as well. That's the u-joints binding naturally as they near their design limits.
Just don't do this fast, far, or hard. Or for very long.
With things in good shape, you won't break anything if you only do it for a bit. But if something does break, it was on it's way out and near the end. And it's better that it happens on the test drive in the neighborhood rather than out on the sand!

What type of sand. Soft dunes, or semi-hard packed beach running along with other people in passenger cars?
Agree about airing down. If it's truly hard packed sand, you really don't need to. But it doesn't hurt. And it might be critical when you hit some soft sand. So just do it...
Same for locking the hubs. Just do it and leave them locked in. Shift into and out of 4-wheel drive as needed.

mdm5371

I've owned 4 Early Broncos over the years and they've all been on the soft, and sometimes deep, Outer Banks sand from Carova to Ocracoke. It's GREAT on the beach, certainly as good as any JK. In fact, you can drive most anything, even basic all wheel drive, on the sand with enough clearance AND airing down. My rule is typically 15 lbs, and you're good. I even drove an '04 CR-V out there, a little underpowered, and low to the ground, but we made it. (Don't tell the guy running the "Carova Beach Idiots" page) And have fun!

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, we fished the south shore of Long Island for years. We would just air down to 18 PSI, lock the hubs, turn the hubs clockwise (clock=lock), and shift into 4 high. If the sand got very soft we might go to 4 low, and maybe in 2nd gear. 99 % of the time, 4 high was fine. If the sand gets soft, watch the water temp. Good luck