• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DANA 30 question

Nowik35

So I recently tore apart my dana 30 with the drums down to every screw. After i painted everything i wanted to Dumb me mixed up my backing plates for the drum brakes. They look identical to me but can anyone tell me I'd it matters driver side from passenger side and if it does matter how do i tell them apart??? I hate to assemble the whole hub just to find out i have to take everything apart to swop the backing plates. any help would be greatly appreciated!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

That list is for the rear 9" brakes. The OP is asking about the front drums on a Dana 30.

The only difference I can potentially think of is how the wheel cylinder would mount. The fitting for the brake line would need to thread in correctly. Since wheel cylinders are typically left and right, see if they will only bolt up to one backing plate. Then check the orientation to the brake line.

OP
OP
Nowik35

Nowik35

Only problem I have is. I haven't bought the brakes yet or brake lines. Was going to put together the axle first. Get my frame rolling then install the brakes and break lines...

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Without the brakes, putting on and taking off hubs, rotors, spindles, and backing plates, is a 30 minute job tops. Having to swap them side to side is no big deal without all the brakes and springs in place.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The wheel cylinders will bolt into either side. Its a matter which direction the line hole is machined in. I can't help answer the original question tho.

I will offer this tho. Compare the plates and see if you can tell if the wheel cylinder hole is offset for caster. I would expect Ford to have wanted the cylinder to mount level to the ground for bleeding purpose, but it may not be a big enough issue for them to have made two separate plates.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check the brake adjuster slot that would be offset. But then you have to know if the slot is towards the front or towards the rear. Please see if there are part numbers stamped in the backing plates. So we can add to the list.

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The slot for the adjuster should be towards the rear, and the hole for the brake line fitting on the wheel cylinder should face forward.
Here is a pair I rebuilt a little while back.
The backing plates are stamped with Bendix part #319020 for the driver's side and part # 317372 for the passenger side.

Attachments

• IMG_7037.jpg
    IMG_7037.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7042.jpg
    IMG_7042.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7043.jpg
    IMG_7043.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7045.jpg
    IMG_7045.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7046.jpg
    IMG_7046.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Nowik35

Nowik35

Thank you! That helped i got the dana 30 all put together! I ended up putting one side hub together 3 times before I got it right and so many paper towels! It's a learning curve.