• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

When is it no longer Ford Powered?

AZ69EB

. All except the factory big block Malibu that I put 513ci BB Ford in it was a purdy car that had a bit too much nitrous with a failed fuel pump, it was Friday and we had a race on Saturday, still won our grudge match

I would of liked to have seen the look on the guys face when you lifted the hood after you won the race. Especially, after he realizes he was beat by a Ford powered Malibu. That’s funny..

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I would of liked to have seen the look on the guys face when you lifted the hood after you won the race. Especially, after he realizes he was beat by a Ford powered Malibu. That’s funny..

And it was Chevy powered the week before when it beat him and melted a piston crossing the finish line. ;D

Vast amounts of laughing gas does incredible things, good and bad lol

ammowaster

I am not a Hardcore purist but I think it's cool when the powerplant matches the vehicle. As for your Dart scenario it's still based on one brand or the other. Diesels get exempt because for the most part they've sucked and you only had a couple options to choose from.

I've been thinking a newer 2.3 Ecoboost would be a cool option. Great power and with the 10 speed auto you would get good mileage. As a non fab guy I have to stick to relatively simple swaps. I will most likely just buy some 302 based crate for my 77 and put one of the newer fuel injection kits on it. If it was just as easy to do a coyote I would go that way but it's a lot more work.

R0kcrwlr

I raised this question to a few Bronco individuals last year about going to a LS and they all said you can't do that it would decrease value and why do that were the responses. My response in my mind was it would be gaining HP for less $$ plus not to mention better gas mileage along with a few other items. After finally reaching out to Steve aka: Yeller on this forum he provided me with so much information and knowledge I was overwhelmed which will help me during my LS swap. I think like a few folks have mentioned at the end of the day it is your Bronco so do what you want with it and enjoy the hell out of it. I had a pristine bronco which just stayed in the garage for 20years afraid to do anything to it which would hurt the value because originality, I ended up selling it to do a kitchen remodel, yea I know expensive kitchen remodel but it made me realize with my current Bronco is to go enjoy it and do what you want if it makes you happy.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am not a fan of anything other than 5.0 and 5.8 in the Broncos. The older I get the more I appreciate their simplicity (says the guy doing a restomod lol)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I raised this question to a few Bronco individuals last year about going to a LS and they all said you can't do that it would decrease value and why do that were the responses. My response in my mind was it would be gaining HP for less $$ plus not to mention better gas mileage along with a few other items. After finally reaching out to Steve aka: Yeller on this forum he provided me with so much information and knowledge I was overwhelmed which will help me during my LS swap. I think like a few folks have mentioned at the end of the day it is your Bronco so do what you want with it and enjoy the hell out of it. I had a pristine bronco which just stayed in the garage for 20years afraid to do anything to it which would hurt the value because originality, I ended up selling it to do a kitchen remodel, yea I know expensive kitchen remodel but it made me realize with my current Bronco is to go enjoy it and do what you want if it makes you happy.

At least you didn’t cut up a perfectly good show truck that was due some rework from use and go have fun with it, I did and have no regrets. Owning stuff for the sole bragging right of saying you own it and polishing it sucks. They need to be used and enjoyed. I can certainly appreciate garage queens but I just can’t do it myself hence the reason my show truck needed work, I had driven it a couple of hundred thousand miles. Build what makes you smile and then try to wear it out

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Kudos to Steve... I agree... selfless guy- always willing to help!

I SO appreciate you wanting to build a Bronco and ACTUALLY USE IT... I might be the guy that uses his Bronco daily more than 99% of others and man, do I like to see people build their Bronco so they'll use it. I don't care ow it's powered... do it yourself and you've earned my respect.

I really have no desire to ever own a Bronco that sits in the garage. Broncos weren't built to have an "easy life". lol

68ford

Bronco Guru
Everyone upset about LS swaps should really just be mad at Ford for not having a decent comparable engine. If the coyote wasn't 50 feet wide and only 5 liters, maybe people would not be using LS engines in Ford's.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Tell us how ya feel Wayne!! lol ;)

Just having fun with ya... sent you a PM, will msg you tomorrow. Too late tonight.

OP
OP
WheelHorse

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Everyone upset about LS swaps should really just be mad at Ford for not having a decent comparable engine. If the coyote wasn't 50 feet wide and only 5 liters, maybe people would not be using LS engines in Ford's.

I've not said anything on this thread in a while, but that's just funny right there.

I was excited to see the Godzilla, but that intake is like here we go again, F-in Ford like let's give the intake an erection so it does not fit in a smaller engine compartment.

The LS, IMO, is what Ford should-have-done with a next generation small block.

R0kcrwlr

I am in the search for a LS donor now so I will hopefully make progress in the upcoming months. Thanks again to Steve for all of his assistance and knowledge. Trying to decide on the transmission, 4l60 or manual that is the unknown currently. I will probably swap dana 20 for a atlas if funds allow.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I am in the search for a LS donor now so I will hopefully make progress in the upcoming months. Thanks again to Steve for all of his assistance and knowledge. Trying to decide on the transmission, 4l60 or manual that is the unknown currently. I will probably swap dana 20 for a atlas if funds allow.

Your welcome, always happy to share.

It kills me the amount of butchery that some believe they have to perform to make it (or anything else) fit. I've seen inner fenders removed, firewalls cut wide open, trans tunnels cut out, frames hacked, it just shows a complete lack of creativity and respect to the soul of the vehicle. An LS fits as well as a SBF and if you ever get the hankering to return it back it bolts back in, no massive surgery to make anything fit, it is no more invasive than a 351 with a 4R70. I get the purist part of keeping everything the original manufacturer. But its not like putting a Coyote in with massive mods to everything to make it fit or like some builders deem necessary.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Depending on torque output and use I would highly recommend upgrading the t-case asap. Not saying $2500 for an Atlas but if you are going thru the trouble for the LS to fit/adapt then I would definitely look into a t-case that you wouldn't need to replace/upgrade after it can't handle the torque of great traction with bigger tires on rocks.

205 isn't as low geared but can handle more torque than most Atlas cases and is usually about $2300 cheaper. Save doing it twice... or in my case- - 4 D20's later. All these were with a 351W/doubler combo. Torque eats D20's for breakfast.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I’ll just leave this here.
1aa5ba5f7fe1d6318907832dcf59a377.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R0kcrwlr

Depending on torque output and use I would highly recommend upgrading the t-case asap. Not saying $2500 for an Atlas but if you are going thru the trouble for the LS to fit/adapt then I would definitely look into a t-case that you wouldn't need to replace/upgrade after it can't handle the torque of great traction with bigger tires on rocks.

205 isn't as low geared but can handle more torque than most Atlas cases and is usually about $2300 cheaper. Save doing it twice... or in my case- - 4 D20's later. All these were with a 351W/doubler combo. Torque eats D20's for breakfast.

I was thinking the same thing but have not done enough homework to figure out which TC to use during this swap. Any advice is appreciated.

nvrstuk

Contributor
So many variables with wheeling you plan on doing, tire size, gear selection, how much on road use, do you want to cruise at 70 mph or 55mph is dependant on gearing, etc, etc. HP and torque output of engine makes a big difference also. TON of factors.

You need to decide on most of these and then make the determination of what "goals/wants" you are willing to sacrifice to achieve the other goals/wants you can't do without.

Doublers make a HUGE difference for being able to run great highway gears for cruising for hours at a time and then give you the gears you need for rock crawling. Only do mud?? -well, then that's easy.

Good luck. :)

R0kcrwlr

So many variables with wheeling you plan on doing, tire size, gear selection, how much on road use, do you want to cruise at 70 mph or 55mph is dependant on gearing, etc, etc. HP and torque output of engine makes a big difference also. TON of factors.

You need to decide on most of these and then make the determination of what "goals/wants" you are willing to sacrifice to achieve the other goals/wants you can't do without.

Doublers make a HUGE difference for being able to run great highway gears for cruising for hours at a time and then give you the gears you need for rock crawling. Only do mud?? -well, then that's easy.

Good luck. :)

I gotcha. I currently run 5:13 on 37's. Plan is to swap out drivetrain to allow me to run on the freeway 70mph for a few hours and do various crawling. I live out eat but plan to make some trips out west in the near future but I will trailer the rig to that point. current setup is 302/c4/dana20 but plans are to go 5.3/4l60/ TC unknown but obviously at Atlas would be nice. haha.