• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another turn signal not working thread

Ryanlt

Loc.
Douglas, Ga
I'm trying to get all of my electrical straightened out in my 74. I have the original wiring harness that seems to be in good condition and hasn't been hacked up.

Neither of my blinkers or flashers will work. They won't light up on the dash when I turn them on. If you switch the blinker on and turn the wheel, it releases like it should.

My headlights, brake lights, and all the running lights work like they should. All of my fuses are good.

What's the next step I should take? When should The little round blinker relay under the dash have power going to it/from it?

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
it should have power to the flasher relay when the flashers or turn signals are on for sure.
To eliminate those as a possablity i would buy one new one and try it on both the hazzard and flasher to see if that is the culprit. I nomaly am not a throw parts at it kind of guy but in this case they are a cheap easy to get part of the shelf.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryanlt

Ryanlt

Loc.
Douglas, Ga
Is there one or 2 flasher relays? I haven't looked hard, but i only seen one that was under the edge of the dash.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
there are two.one for turn sig one for flashers.fuse f5 is for emg flashers.fuse f2 runs turn sig flashers,radio,wipers,backup lites.bad turn sig switch.

Attachments

• turn sig.jpg
    turn sig.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 216

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The flasher with the blue connector is for the turn signals.

OP
OP
Ryanlt

Ryanlt

Loc.
Douglas, Ga
I replaced both of the relays and now my hazard flashers are working like they should. The right hand blinker in the guage cluster isn't flashing with the left one, I'm thinking it's probably just a blown bulb.

So is there any other places I should check before I pull the steering wheel and check the turn signal switch? All of my electrical worked fine before it sat up the past few years.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You won't be able to see much at the turn signal switch. I suggest using a test light or voltmeter at the switch connector.

'74-'77 Column Connections
Blue=12v from turn flasher to turn switch, circuit #44
white-blue=right front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #2
green=right rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #282
green-white=left front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #3
yellow-black=left rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #283
red-black=12v brake switch to turn signal switch, circuit #810
blue-yellow=12v horn relay to horn switch, circuit #1
white-red=12v from hazard flasher to hazard switch, circuit #385
blue-red=12v from headlight switch to PRNDL light, #19

Attachments

• c-321_74-77 column.jpg
    c-321_74-77 column.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 131

Larry4mf

Signals not working after Mod

All my electrical has worked perfectly for a few years thanks to Phred.
I did the mod to the turn signals, converting them back to 66-68 lenses. I purchased new lights from wildhorses4x4. It indicated that I did not need to ground the new lamp housings. But now the new front signals do not work when parking or headlights are on. I tried grounding the lamp housing using the original ground and still nothing. They work great without lights of course, but after spending several hours trying to figure out how and where to ground them I give up. Any one else have this problem or know the easy fix.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
All my electrical has worked perfectly for a few years thanks to Phred.
I did the mod to the turn signals, converting them back to 66-68 lenses. I purchased new lights from wildhorses4x4. It indicated that I did not need to ground the new lamp housings. But now the new front signals do not work when parking or headlights are on. I tried grounding the lamp housing using the original ground and still nothing. They work great without lights of course, but after spending several hours trying to figure out how and where to ground them I give up. Any one else have this problem or know the easy fix.

A very common problem with new turn buckets is the wires to be connected backwards. That makes the turn filament dim and the park filament bright. You probably can't see the turn filament when it flashes.

OP
OP
Ryanlt

Ryanlt

Loc.
Douglas, Ga
An update on my original post.. I replaced the blinker switch and it still didn't fix the problem. When I checked power going to the blinker switch after I replaced it, it would read 12v sometimes, sometimes it wouldn't. I finally traced the wires back to the fuse box and found that the blinker wire was corroded at the fuse box. I cleaned up the connection and it's working fine now.

Larry4mf

That's right, i can tell is blinking when the parking lights are on, but I can't reverse the wiring because it's attached by a clip and will only snap together one way.

Up late, maximizing the good weather and daylight savings time in the carport with a cold beer and the iPad trying to solve this.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's right, i can tell is blinking when the parking lights are on, but I can't reverse the wiring because it's attached by a clip and will only snap together one way.

Up late, maximizing the good weather and daylight savings time in the carport with a cold beer and the iPad trying to solve this.

Need to cut the wires on the buckets and swap them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If anyone runs into the same trouble Larry did, you can sometimes pull the little insulator thingy out of the inside of the socket (the round fiberboard bit with the contacts) and spin it inside the socket. Works best when the wires are cooperative, but it's doable most of the time.

Sorry you had this issue Larry. We actually know of the problem and literally check every early and late lamp assembly at the front counter before it's put into inventory. We even have a fixture with a proper plug and battery supply right there for the testing.
Somehow yours was missed evidently.

Did you by any chance purchase yours quite awhile ago? If so that might explain it, since for a couple of years now, it's only been the late model ones that were the problem. Starting a few months ago though, we found that the earlies were now defective as well.
If you bought it more recently then, then it should not have passed muster.

Let me know.

Paul

Larry4mf

I purchased last summer. But I'll try to spin the contacts too. I only cut the right.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Larry. Sorry I didn't see this earlier today. If your other one is backwards too, let me know if you'd rather have a replacement. If it swaps out easily enough, great, and thanks for taking care of it at your end. But if it gives you any trouble, or you change your mind, I'll send you a replacement.

Thanks

Paul

tbird775

I'm having an issue as well. I installed a flaming river column, floorshift, and everything works, except my blinkers light up solid and the emergency flashers do not work at all. I replaced the flasher relay but to no avail. All lights have been replaced with led but no hyperflash like I expected.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey tbird. Welcome to classicbroncos!
What year is your Bronco, and did you check both flasher units? The turn-signals use a different one from the flashers, even though they both share the same style of connector and can be swapped if need be. The flasher unit was just a little more heavy duty for running more lights than the turn signals originally, but for all I know they're all the same now.

If you have a '73 or earlier, were you able to integrate the flasher wiring into the existing dash switch wiring?

Paul

tbird775

It is a 76, everything wired up pretty easy. I need to check the other relay. Thanks.