• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco - press conf from Ford

Jaxgtc

"Stock wranglers and gladiators in my opinion are ugly. Both look ok w 35s and look good w 37s or larger."

I definitely agree with the ugliness of the gladiator in it's stock form. It's the aftermarket that makes it look good. It's like a wiener dog with extra short legs. Most of the off road videos of the stock gladiators show their belly dragging over mild obstacles.

I love the look of the early Broncos with the rear fenders cut, which was also thanks to the aftermarket. I'm not af fan of the uncut look. I have never understood why Ford made the rear fenders more car like than truck.

I agree, with the size of the wheel wells, the New Bronco will look better with bigger tires. As for the EB, I still like mine like it came. Something about those skinny tires and that quirky rear fender...

willtel

2021-ford-bronco-spy-shots-11.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-spy-shots-21.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-spy-shots-23.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-spy-shots-22.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I highly doubt Ford will design the IFS and steering in a way that will make SAS simple or remotely affordable. Yeah, the body might look decent and have some cool open-air amenities, and it will probably do great on the fire roads, BUT if true offroad enthusiasts don't buy-in because it simply cannot compete w Jeep offroad, will it actually catch-on as something the masses think is cool??

It will not be on the same level if it does not have front straight axle, period.

Yes, on road manners and traversing pot holes on your way to the county campground will likely be better but that's not cool. Plenty of Subarus out there do that just fine.

I am certainly willing to sacrifice a smidge of onroad comfort for reliability and capability.

I've taken many ifs rigs wheelin and been around plenty that do fine and with a good driver they can run a lot of trails, but again - not the same level as solid axle.

True- most people sporting a wrangler on 37s never get off the pavement - but they still buy-in that it's cool because everyone knows it CAN be taken offroad and do well. Howd they get those 37s under there? Simple over the counter lift available at 150,000 4x4 shops across the country.

Shoot for that matter - most people that own early broncos don't take them offroad but think they're cool because in-part, they are so capable, tough and reliable.

Can it be cool with IFS? Maybe.
Would it be cool with straight axle? Absolutely.

Will you be able to lift and fit 35s w IFS, will wait and see but I'd guess yes.
Will you be able to lift and fit 37s or larger? Probably not - not without serious dollars. Will just have to wait and see.

Imo, the new 4 dr bronco is only going to look and be treated as cool if it can be lifted to fit big tires. Stock wranglers and gladiators in my opinion are ugly. Both look ok w 35s and look good w 37s or larger.

I hope they are cool so I can talk my wife into having that as her next ride.

that's my two bits for the day.
We have guys bolting up cyotes, LS's and diesels from forklifts, you bet someone wil bolt up a solid axle,

Oh, and solid front axle manners, I'm reminded everyday I drive my heep, of what a 1972 Ford Highboy 4x4 drives like. Actually the highboy drove better.

IFS will answer what 99% of what folks want, even those that offroad. How many Tacos you seen on Rubicon trail? Loads of them.

Cooter_76

Is it me, or does that front suspension look compressed? Hard to tell from the pic, but it almost looks like the half shaft is angled up from the differential to the hub. The sway bar looks to be at an odd angle too. I sure hope it doesn't have air suspension for adjustable ride height.

The frame looks too beefy for what I'd imagined the baby Bronco would have.

The article says the tires are 255/75R17, which is roughly a 32" x 10".

68ford

Bronco Guru
Subframe so low between the front tires makes getting high centered in the mall parking lot speed bumps a concern!!!!

On a real note, a solid axle conversion would likely have to amount to a 12in lift

OX1

Bronco Guru
Subframe so low between the front tires makes getting high centered in the mall parking lot speed bumps a concern!!!!

On a real note, a solid axle conversion would likely have to amount to a 12in lift

And that sway bar is right in the way of where you would put a steering box/drag link. I guess you would have to do a manual steering box and then use a steering column, electric steering setup (since no PS pump).

Thought front control arms would be longer since this is supposed to compete with Wrangler for offroad worthiness. I don't see a lot of susp travel out of that setup.

Rear susp design looks better, but no sway bar at all and those shock mounts hang way down (although it was pointed out to me that Wrangler shock mounts hang down really low too). Seems like if you slipped of a rock, you immediately hit that mount, but I guess heeps are making it work.

Bronco4x4

FYI >> The post by Willtel has photos that only show on my phone. They do not show on my Windows10 PC. If you don’t see the leaked undercarriage photos in that post, try another way to view them. I wanted to see them closer on my PC monitor and no go.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Yeah, my wife's Edge Sport has more ground clearance, and larger tires. ?:?

Lawndart

Loc.
So this is basically a 90's Explorer ?

When people on a Bronco forum cannot be convinced a "Bronco" has two-door... hope dims.
Ford will likely make a new Explorer, call it a Bronco, with a silly-overcomplicted powerplant, sell many and be happy. The carrot will likely be dangled a long time for a real Bronco.
I would have no problem proven wrong.:p

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
On that front suspension i see no mounts for upper control arms or any tie rod ends/rack mounts??? How does this thing even move/steer???

EDIT: THAT FRONT SUSPENSION PIC WAS TAKEN FROM BEHIND THE FRONT WHEEL. LOOK AT PICS OF THE RANGER FRONT SUSPENSION AND YOU CAN SEE THE SWAY BAR BEHIND THE FRONT END. IF YOU LOOK AT THE PIC OF THE BRONCO THERE IS NO SHADOW TOWARDS THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE PIC WHICH INDICATES THAT THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE IS TO THE RIGHT

Mike Hewett

I wonder if Ford is watching this forum and the responses. It's mainly negative which I would think would be concerning to Ford. I would think there is a larger market for IFS equipped vehicles though. They ride better, etc. As many have stated, most Jeep owners, even the ones with modified rigs don't get off the pavement very often. I'm sure Ford weighed their target market and decided to build the bronco to appeal to the larger buying group.

I'm more about the authentic/retro looks that ability. If I want to take something on trails it sure as hell won't be a $35,000+ SUV. I'll go buy a side by side or ATV that can actually do something and take a beating without breaking and getting dents/scratches!