• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floors get hot-how do you fix it?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
We get so many posts asking how to cool the floors and FB is full of them so here's my experience from when I bought my Bronco in June of '76... on a very tight budget trying to alleviate the problem.

My wife used to move to the back seat on some of our long trips on 90+ deg heat days because she was always burning up.

Here ya go

In order- what I tried with large time gaps between trying something new...

- I tried heat mat on the firewall and floors back in the '80's.

-I put 2 layers of jute backing under my new carpet...

-I put a body lift in

-I ceramic coated the headers

-I put dynamat in

-I wrapped the headers AND exhaust to the mufflers behind the frt seats.

- When I did my suspension build in '17 I put alum sheets spaced 1/2" off the firewall and the floor. This ONE change did more than ALL the others combined... almost unbelievable difference.

Multiple readings on the console and passenger floor...temps were from 148- 149 deg F on a 100 deg day prior to installing the alum spacers after a 10 to 30 minute drive.

After putting alum sheets on the firewall from the top of the heads down and underneath the floor pans to behind the seats -- the console and floor pan temps dropped to 102 deg F on a 100 deg F day after driving around for 40 minutes... this is with the dual mufflers mounted directly under the seats.

Put all the liners and coatings and dynomat and carpet ya want on...but the best thing is to have a heat shield barrier with a small air gap.

My buddy did this to his Bronco in the mid '80's and I just didn't want to go thru the hassle of trying it...well, I could have saved myself 30 yrs of broiling to death !!!

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
post some pic or do a write up, send it over to the stickies/tech articles...

I wuz gunna peruse the JYs to find the biggest sheets of that crappy 'heat shield' I could but no 1 round here lets U in the yards anymore. Subie'n Fiat had some big ones but disasembly seemed tough (would rip em all up). 'Stilts' or 'hold-off' construction seemed a lill tedious too. Finally, off rd situations hazardous, may B the alu could avoid this last issue...

May B flesh out ur 1 post comment?
Thnx~

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
actually makes sense....look under a new car or suv and you will see alot of formed heat shields following the entire exhaust. Basically heavy duty tin foil.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Back in the day i stopped wearing Wallabies since they would melt to the floor. Biggest relief was taking the doors off so the footwells were not ovens.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
plus bronks R extra hot under the hood. Now w/shorties I'm in more trouble.
Cab fl is not happy...
thru bolts, washers stacked, thin alu plate?

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I had a 64 Falcon with headers & a hot floor. I used a foam pad under the carpet (like you'd use under a sleeping bag). Worked great for years. Ensolite? Osolite? It was not the super light blue pad, but the denser feeling cream colored pad.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Did you use embossed or flat aluminum sheet? Are there drain holes for water that gets between the steel and aluminum sheet metal? How is it secured? Spacers to maintain 1/2"?

ransil

Bronco Guru
Did you use embossed or flat aluminum sheet? Are there drain holes for water that gets between the steel and aluminum sheet metal? How is it secured? Spacers to maintain 1/2"?

I would try Moly magnets VHB taped to the aluminum.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
We get so many posts asking how to cool the floors and FB is full of them so here's my experience from when I bought my Bronco in June of '76... on a very tight budget trying to alleviate the problem.

My wife used to move to the back seat on some of our long trips on 90+ deg heat days because she was always burning up.

Here ya go

In order- what I tried with large time gaps between trying something new...

- I tried heat mat on the firewall and floors back in the '80's.

-I put 2 layers of jute backing under my new carpet...

-I put a body lift in

-I ceramic coated the headers

-I put dynamat in

-I wrapped the headers AND exhaust to the mufflers behind the frt seats.

- When I did my suspension build in '17 I put alum sheets spaced 1/2" off the firewall and the floor. This ONE change did more than ALL the others combined... almost unbelievable difference.

Multiple readings on the console and passenger floor...temps were from 148- 149 deg F on a 100 deg day prior to installing the alum spacers after a 10 to 30 minute drive.

After putting alum sheets on the firewall from the top of the heads down and underneath the floor pans to behind the seats -- the console and floor pan temps dropped to 102 deg F on a similar 100 deg F day after driving around for 40 minutes... this is with the dual mufflers mounted directly under the seats.

Put all the liners and coatings and dynomat and carpet ya want on...but the best thing is to have a heat shield barrier with a small air gap.

My buddy did this to his Bronco in the mid '80's and I just didn't want to go thru the hassle of trying it...well, I could have saved myself 30 yrs of broiling to death !!!

Hope this helps someone!

So glad you posted this! I am getting ready to go down this road and would have tried most of the things you have already done. So since you stirred the pot, how about a couple of blurry pics to show us the outcome of your work!

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
there's a special "paint";

stuff like that mat above (I think the best practice is onto a better product);

but I like the straight (uncovered) metal floor, would seek something on the other side of sloped floor, (not vertical fire wall) flat floor, & a lill at frnt of bed where muffler is ('shortie' headers/Y-to-1 & I 'exit' in frnt of pass's tire, very short 'tucked up' single exhaust)...

Ever C that cheep stuff in sheets for sale "Heat Shield"? I'd put it on the stacked washers stilts...? (once anyway)

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands

Yup. Aluminum slows the radiant heat transfer. Air gap slows the conductive/convective heat transfer. I tried most of those things myself Brian, now have a big heat shield made from 1/8" aluminum sheet above the accessible part of my exhaust system (I have a 2 into 1 down the passenger side) from under the passenger seat to behind the muffler, just ahead of the rear axle. Unbelievable is right. I didn't quantify the numbers but the aft floor under my rubber mat (and above it if I had gear loaded on a long trip) would get way too hot to touch. With the heat shield in place it gets lukewarm.

I made mine from 1/8" thick 1100 series aluminum sheet, figuring I needed excellent corrosion resistance and malleability so it would be easy to form, at the expense of not-needed strength. Like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/88685k95
Bent flanges along the edges to stiffen it, etc.

Stood it off from the underside of the floor using hex threaded spacers like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/91780a218

That way I could bolt the standoffs to the floor from above (helps to have a helper to do that, my arms weren't long enough) and bolt the heat shield up from the bottom, which means that I can remove it for cleaning if I want. Or what ever.

No pics, but if anyone is interested I can take some. As nvrstuk reports the difference is amazing, better than all other solutions put together, and it was easy. When my engine comes out again someday, hopefully fairly soon (another story) I will add the same thing on the firewall and down the front part of the tunnel.

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Yup. Aluminum slows the radiant heat transfer. Air gap slows the conductive/convective heat transfer. I tried most of those things myself Brian, now have a big heat shield made from 1/8" aluminum sheet above the accessible part of my exhaust system (I have a 2 into 1 down the passenger side) from under the passenger seat to behind the muffler, just ahead of the rear axle. Unbelievable is right. I didn't quantify the numbers but the aft floor under my rubber mat (and above it if I had gear loaded on a long trip) would get way too hot to touch. With the heat shield in place it gets lukewarm.

I made mine from 1/8" thick 1100 series aluminum sheet, figuring I needed excellent corrosion resistance and malleability so it would be easy to form, at the expense of not-needed strength. Like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/88685k95
Bent flanges along the edges to stiffen it, etc.

Stood it off from the underside of the floor using hex threaded spacers like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/91780a218

That way I could bolt the standoffs to the floor from above (helps to have a helper to do that, my arms weren't long enough) and bolt the heat shield up from the bottom, which means that I can remove it for cleaning if I want. Or what ever.

No pics, but if anyone is interested I can take some. As nvrstuk reports the difference is amazing, better than all other solutions put together, and it was easy. When my engine comes out again someday, hopefully fairly soon (another story) I will add the same thing on the firewall and down the front part of the tunnel.

I would like to see pics jnsmassey@gmail.com or 907-351-4five43 thanks

fosgate150

floor

I put dynamat on the floor and up to the vertical section of the firewall. I then put a layer of dynaliner on the front floor pans and on top of the dynamat at the firewall. I finished it off with a full carpet kit, with the thick padding. The floorboards get a little warm on hot Summer days, but nothing crazy. I can still feel the heat coming through the carpet hold down strips.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 99

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
seems behhah than my 'stacked washers' idea.
Yeah, pic would B great.
How many 'bolts'? Ripped up by the trails?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I have seen some pretty impressive results using this stuff (http://hytechsales.com/insulating_paint_additives.html) in the paint applied to the roof of this:
CA%20rt%20fnt.jpg

As-in, the roof was COOL to the touch after sitting in the sun all day during a 85°-90° day!
BUT as I did the heat shielding on my old boss's Suburban ~20 years ago and saw how well it worked I'd do the shielding first and the paint additive afterwards.