• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

00 explorer 302 part ordering time, got some ??

NJBronco

I put the pistons, crank, cam and rollers back in my block. She's all pretty. This is a 2000 explorer 302.

I'm about to order the oil pump, oil pan, oil dip stick tube, water pump, timing set, and valve covers.

Just wondering if everything should be stock for the explorer or if there say a better oil pan for the bronco. I'm assuming all the explorer stuff is fine, but since I have to order new that it makes sense to ask. My oil pan and valve covers are too rusted on the outside to bother with them.

Some one posted a part number for the oil filter bung that I need. Explorer had some hooky extension piece. On looking farther into it there seems to be a hole where some other sfb's have a check valve, Do I need one?

Last question, I'm looking at the rock auto 3 piece timing set. The crank gear has three keyways. +-4degree or 0degree stock. I was planning on buying it since its the cheapest but best looking kit there. Can I just put it -4 degree for more torque in the low end?? And that's it? no ecu reprograming or anything. I feel like theres more to it with all the other sensors and crap. My Ecu is currently already reprogrammed by EFIGuy.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You mean 2000 Explorer 5.0

Last first, you'll want to email efiguy for the decision to advance or retard the timing.

Youll want to find a local ford dealer and buy the block to oil filter adapter for any 302 motor. The 5.0 explorer uses that funky adapter to allow for the oil/water cooler interchange.

I've heard the Explorer oil pan works on a Bronco. Otherwise, take the rusty stock pan and blast it and rattle can it. Remember, the oil pump is pretty universal (stay with a stock unit, not a high flow/high pressure unit) but the oil pickups are oil pan specific.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I can't say I've ever tried advancing or retarding the timing on the Explorers yet. But the beauty of mass air is that it's pretty forgiving and would likely run just fine.

Is this a stock Explorer cam?

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Yes stock cam. The rock auto does say anything about the need to program the ecu. So I'm not sure. Either that's the timing kit I was getting I may just put it on zero. Not looking to be the test guy lol. I have a few days to hit up some explorer forums and see if I can find anything about. My gut tells me that some sensor would not be happy with it.

Oil pan is rusted almost through in the bolt area. Dipsticks as well. When I get that oil filter adapter do I just use the stock filter? Just relocated to the block? I tossed the one that one it so I can't test fit it

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
DROP me a line with a list of what you need....Ford parts guy in da house! :cool:

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Since it's the stock cam I would leave it alone. The Ford engineering department probably spent a lot of time designing it to work well.

If it were an after market cam that raised the power band then cam timing would be something to consider.