• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

02 sensor and leaded fuel

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Will leaded fuel mess up an 02 sensor. We have a new sunoco gas station the is selling leaded racing gas 110 octane. I saw a guy putting some in his newer mustang, it just got me thinking.

bax

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm pretty sure it will mess them up. Might take a while and worst that happens is the system runs closed loop I believe or open loop cant remeber which when the O2 goes bad but it causes it to run richer. I think it will also cause problems with the cats. The guy you saw is probably racing and doesnt run cats and has the $$ to change the O2 sensors every so often.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p The lead will plug up the cat's and then you go slow.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Like broncaz said it may not of had the cats on it. It did sound good

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My understanding of that is that it's only about the cats...the leaded fuel kills the ability of the cats to catylize. I run leaded racing gas in my rig every chance I can get my hands on some..or lots of 'off road only' octane booster otherwise, and I'm running the same O2 sensor you are, Roger.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lead will contiminate the O2 sensor. but it isn't a little will kill it, it take a bit over time to do it. A tank here or there won't do it. Several tanks will. And it will loose accuracy, not just die all together.

As for teh cats, the lead blockst the catalist reaction. At that point they don't do anything.

Now are you sure that the pump is actually pumping out leaded fuel? I have noticed that a lot of the race gas is now unleaded. If it has lead in it there is a distenct sweet smell to it. Even the 100LL Av gas will vary its lead content. I have had some tanks that were really leaded and others that had little to it. I wish I could find that source of 80 octane mogas locally again. That stuff was nice and volitile. Wakes up old low compression engines, like the one in my boat.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yes I am sure it was leaded gas. Good to know I can run a little too.