• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1/2 Bikini top with family cage?

EliminatorXR7

Loc.
Powder Springs, Ga.
Has anyone put a standard bikini top on a Bronc that has a family cage? I am thinking about going this route but don't know about fitment and if it looks really silly.
Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pretty sure I've seen it done. But also pretty sure it looks like what you think it would. Kind of half-done. If you know what I mean.

Nothing wrong with the concept. Covering just the front where most people sit most of the time would be fine, and a lot of kids and passengers in general don't mind being out in the sun on a nice day anyway.
But I think one big issue with the fit arises when the main hoop is in a different position than the one for the basic rollbar was. In other words, is it a single hoop still? Is it farther forward or back? Are the stringers and kickers in convenient locations that don't mess with the bikini? Stuff like that.
And if, like many, the bikini actually has a sort of a "seam" where it's expected to cross over the main hoop, it will look even worse if the hoop is in a different position than it would if it was just a plain bikini with just straps, but no actual "seam" or crease where it's expected to cross the bar.

Bottom line though, is get the cage system that you want, then try the bikini to see what you and the family think. If it looks alright, go for it. If not, it's easy enough to get a full bikini or have one made to fit your particular cage style.

Good luck. Post pics either way, so others can see how it turns out.

Paul

KRAWLER

Loc.
Southwest VA
I have a family cage and a Rampage soft top. Once it get warm, i pull the rampage top off and run nothing but the bikini. Mine looks great, besides, who's looking at your top????

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We do too. In vinyl or "Breezer" materials.
Will also make customs based on your measurements and, within reason, colors and materials. That's for if you happen to have a non-standard (whatever "standard" is?) cage setup.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Family_Cage_Roll_Bar_Top

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tropical_Breezer_Family_Cage_Top

If you already have a soft top, we can match it to your existing windshield riser. If not, then you would order the one with the Bestop riser included as part of the kit.

Paul

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I run a bikini top never thought it looked funny, when I have someone in the back I run the bestop softop with all the windows removed and it looks good as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What family cage are you running 00gyrhed? Got pics?

Paul

OP
OP
E

EliminatorXR7

Loc.
Powder Springs, Ga.
DSC_0755.JPG

Got the new Rampage top in from Tom's Bronco Parts. I replaced an old Kay-line, so door pillars were already drilled. Pretty easy install, only real fitment issues right now are a few of the snaps that hold the top to the rear bar don't really line up. I am hoping that letting it sit in the warm air might stretch the top some and let me snap them.
I got the Breezer standard bikini top in also, but haven't put it on yet. Trying to get the full top all squared away first. still might have to tweak and fine tune here and there.
The Rampage top is going to take some getting used to, the Kayline used a bit of velcro, whereas the Rampage has a channel system that the edge of the top slips into. I like it better, seems like a better design.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
That looks really nice! I just really with the Rampage or any other top would allow the back corners to fold or roll up to give it that safari style look like you could do with the old Kaylines...

Incidentally, do you have a close up photo of the breezer bikini top? Curious as to what exactly the fabric looks like. Does it obviously look like mesh/see through from a few feet away, or only when you look up close?

Thanks!

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I have one on mine. Only thing that bugs me is the straps around the side. Cant seem to make them tight enough.
a86d6b9f.jpg

OP
OP
E

EliminatorXR7

Loc.
Powder Springs, Ga.
So, as is, the standard breezer top will not fit. My mid bar is angled back to far for it to even come close to fitting. I am going to an upholstery shop tomorrow to get a window storage bag made and I am going to ask if it will be possible to sew a strip about 9" wide along the front to lengthen it and make it fit how I want. I am pretty sure he won't be able to sew more mesh, but I figure a black vinyl will look ok as it will be along the front. If that isn't a possibility, then I will order the breezer for a family cage or see what I can do custom.
I am 100% happy with the Rampage top. The breezer is as advertised, just not going to do what I want to do with out some customization (no fault of TBP at all).
Pic of the cage I have.

IMG_0055.JPG

Last edited: