• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1.5" Suspension lift - need rear advice

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I picked up a Superlift suspension lift (these decent?), came with front springs, front and rear shocks, bushings, drag link, pitman arm, and a set of rear springs.. It's hard to tell, but I would assume the rear springs is an add a leaf? It's a complete spring set with new bushings, but I think these were add a leaf, does anyone know for sure? After reading on here, I believe add a leafs ride like wagons, am I correct? This is a street vehicle that might see 70 mph. Are blocks any better to add 1.5" suspension lift? Or can anyone recommend a good full leaf kit for the rear in 1.5" ? I picked this whole kit and a new 2" body lift up for $125, so I'm not worried if I have to toss the rear springs in the trash.

Thanks
Brandon

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
If all you want is a 1.5" lift then id just add blocks as long as the springs you have now arent shot. You may also need to add a shim under them blocks. Add a leafs are a great way to go also. Im sure your bronco already drives like a wagon somewhat so id say you would never notice a stiffer ride with add a leafs. Remember that just because you get a whole new leaf pack doesnt mean you get a better ride, There are alot of cruddy leaf, and shock manufactures out there (superlift being one of them, and if the shocks are too stiff it may be the shocks making it ride like a wagon not the add a leaf). Deavers are top notch but there price reflects that.

Keeping within a budget id go with the blocks. And skip the drop pitman arm for now! That may just throw another unknown in there! And remember that once you lift it it will never ride the same as it did (or it may ride better), and there are alot of other things that will need to be done.

OP
OP
Ourobos

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Thanks, I was wondering about the Superlift, as I had never dealt with them. After doing more reading today, I don't think the add a leafs will be too much stiffer, and will be pulling a 3500# boat occassionally, so the added capacity may be more beneficial.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I put add-a-leafs in my excursion front and rear to lift it and help with towing and i thought it rode better! (the excursion is supposed to be the same as a 3/4 ton chassis but i think the springs are softer so it rides better for the soccer mom and dads). It diffenatly handled high speed corners better with add a leafs!