• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1 ton TRE's question. Easy... update! more advice needed

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
So what did you end up doing? First off how big of suspension lift? Did you do tie rod over or under? Stock or drop pitman arm? How big is the drop on that trac bar drop bracket?

After looking at them pics looks like TRO with a drop pitman arm? Looks like the trac bar needs a riser bracket on the axle?

I ask because im ready to do the same steering swap to mine. I have a 5.5" lift. And as you can see im in desperate need of some reworking to get the angle more parallel to the ground%). As you see in the pics im starting from all stock parts. Id like to go chevy TRE and do it TRO. Going TRO as well as having the chevy style drag link TRE, (which moves the connection point way out toward the pass tire) will make the drag link much more flat with the ground...as shown in second pic. Also wondering if i should go with drop pitman arm? I have read alot of threads that say no need for drop pitman with TRO? Then after all that ill fab up a trac bar riser bracket to fix that.

Maybe i should start my own thread but thought if i knew your lift size and other details id have a great starting point!

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
OP
OP
EBCRAWLR

EBCRAWLR

Loc.
las vegas,NV
ok ill try and touch on everything your asking. :cool: and give a "my opinion" comment afterward

ME, yes, i did TRO, with GM 1 ton TRE's. 3 1/2" drop pitman arm on a 3 1/2" suspension lift. (as seen in pic), i did mount the TRE @ the pitman arm underneath. with the nut up. and yes i do need to raise the track bar. i currently have a track bar lowering bracket on the frame with a 3 inch drop (james duff part #5407). my plan (if necc... dont know yet) is to take the lowering bracket off. remount in stock mount, and raise track bar, at the frame, to match the angle of the draglink. (i will build/fab a riser bracket)

Yes!! you are in desperate need of a better angle! im no engineer or math guy but that geometry is not good. ha im surprised the drag link doesnt push the tie rod down instead of to the right!:) (im sure all 3"+ lifts should have a drop pitman arm of some degree) anyways

i will suggest the link i posted in the very first post. (its practically the same as i got) (a few buddies and I bought 3 full setups minus tubing, plus a ream, and then locally bought the steel, our total per person was about 260) making the kit on ebay a really good deal. no driving and no hassle! (however, u do need a ream).

ok (not sure ur asking, but...) my .02! do the kit above, personally i suggest a drop pitman arm. (lets get that drag link lower, even with a TRO) as im doing the same, i would fab the steering, then relocate the trackbar to match!! whether its raise or lower...

hope this helps.