• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

12SI Alternator Frame Size vs CS130

High Pressure

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Does a CS130 Alternator have the same frame mounting hole pattern as a 12SI Alternator? Or will a CS130 mount the same as a 12SI? I dont want to change my special alternator bracket... I believe the wiring connectors are different...

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Well there are two different 12si front frames, and 14 different CS130 frames. But with that said, you most likely have the standard 12si front frame, and there is an exact match CS130 front frame. If you are going to the wreckers for one you will have to wait untill Tuesday for me to get into theshop and figure out what it came off of.

The wiring is a bit different as well. (Though either can be made one wire). In the back of the plug there is a P L I/F S . You can use a switched wire on the I/F terminal to turn the alternator on and off. If you want a light circuit you have to use an LED bulb, and run it to the L.

We make these units (my most popular) mostly as one wire. Just hook a battery up and go. For reference 120amps is $120, 160amps is $160. Canadian, which doesnt make much difference right now. They are bigger bearing, HD recitifer units, that charge hard at idle.

OP
OP
H

High Pressure

Loc.
Charleston, SC
RRRAAAYYY2, Thanks for the quick feedback. Well it's good to know there is a direct bolt up CS130.... but sounds like finding the correct one at the junk yard could be a difficult search. In general, is the CS130 a more reliable alternator than a 12SI for equivalent amperage ratings? Chris

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
CS series is miles apart from the 12si at the same amperage ratings. But it had some issues on its own as well, typically 70,000miles was life expectancy of them, but vs the 40,000 (maybe 50,000) on a 12si, that wasnt too bad. But that is a far shy of other modern alternators that went at least 100,000 on average. The upgraded CS alternators have no issues and are very durable.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have a 130 amp 12si that I installed in 92. It has about 100,000 miles on it now and I've never had to touch it since. It must be living on borrowed time.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
I have a 130 amp 12si that I installed in 92. It has about 100,000 miles on it now and I've never had to touch it since. It must be living on borrowed time.

LOL, there are always exceptions and you are doing very well. In my life I have seen 3 or 4 CS130 alternators with over 300KM (180,000 miles on them). But if you asked me to bet on a stock one going say 90,000Kms, I wouldnt. They came iwth an 80,000 km warranty and GM exteneded it because so many died just outside of the warranty period.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I was going through some old files today and found the receipt for my GM alternator. It's actually a 17SI, part number 7287-3. Externally the same as a 12SI but big difference internally. I think I had to change the pulley from serp to v-belt.