• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

14 piece bushing install - should I do anything else?

jonmelton

Hey guys, I'm doing the 14 piece bushing install. Things are going ok. Tie Rods are shot, so I'm ordering a new one. I've been wire brushing and cleaning everything. Repainting what I can. But wanted to ask, is there anything else I should do or check while I have everything taken apart? Anything else easy to replace while I have the front apart?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Well.....the other stuff can probably be done after the bushings.
Things like adjustable drag link, dropped pitman arms, etc....
Probably most important is that you do the C-Bushings right.
Google bronco lean or look it up on WH website.
It is very important that you completely remove the front axle to do the c-bushings so that you can be sure your radius arms have been tightened down level with one another.
WH also has a YouTube channel with some good c-bushing install tech.
Don't forget to use some lithium (white) grease on your bushings so they won't squeak.
You can get it in an aerosol can which is convenient.
Some guys use dish soap too.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Inspect around the steering box and track arm mount on the frame for cracks forming, especially if you have a drop drack arm bracket.

Inspect the bolts for wear and the frame bracket for the hole wallowing out from running a loose bolt.

Inspect the brake and vent hoses.

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

It is very important that you completely remove the front axle to do the c-bushings so that you can be sure your radius arms have been tightened down level with one another.
WH also has a YouTube channel with some good c-bushing install tech.
Don't forget to use some lithium (white) grease on your bushings so they won't squeak.

Good reminder, thanks man.

Inspect the bolts for wear and the frame bracket for the hole wallowing out from running a loose bolt.

My steering is super loose, hence the bushing install. I need to check the steering box to make sure it's not loose.

What's the best stuff to clean the frame and underside of things with? Is a wire brush the best? It just takes so long. I want to find a small wizard who can crawl up in my bronco and clean everything...

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
A really strong pressure washer can be great.
A little engine degreaser in the appropriate spots along the frame prior to pressure washing.
In the end there will be a little bit of tedious hand cleaning.

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

Working on that right now. Axle is coming out next...

Firedog67

Bushings

Another thing I changed on mine was the radius arm bushings to the Wildhorse degreed bushings. Made a big difference with my 3 1/2 lift. (Less binding on that bushing)
I personally used Anti-Seize and coated all my bushings including the C-bushings.
Good looking Bronco

J

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 15