• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 to V8 swap

Keoni

Loc.
Newport News, Va
I would still like to use my old 3 speed after the swap. Will the tranny hold up?
Will the bellhousing fit a 302 or 351w? Its just a daily driver I'd hate to buy all new if I dont need to.

OldieTwoShoes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
the 6cyl 3spd probably wont be able to handle the power, the cheapest and least change would be to get a 3spd that came from an 8cyl bronco.

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
check in the classifides on here. some times people give them away. you will probly need the v8 trans case adapter too. but somboy else will tell you for shure.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 6 cylinder transmission will be too short. It has been done before many times, and almost always with poor results. The V8 3speed is stronger then the 6.

2 choices for quick and easy. Get a V8 3 speed trans (you will need bellhousing, flywheel, etc. also) or get one of the cheap adaptors for using an NP435 and install a granny while you are in there. Still need V8 bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, etc.

If you really want to keep the 6 trans, be prepared to cut out the firewall for the vlave covers or buy 2 new driveshafts and modify the crossmember(then nothing will ever swap in worth a @#$%)

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D The adapter between the trans and t/case is way to short you would need to cut the front d/shaft and add to the rear d/shaft. I have bought a couple like that they work but it isnt right its mickey mouse. good luck with your choice. %) %) %) Bill :p ;D :cool:

OP
OP
K

Keoni

Loc.
Newport News, Va
Thanks for the advice all. But it seems things have changed since I first posted this a couple hours ago. I thought I had just lost my throwout bearing after it started schreeching down the road, on my way to work.

I have been wanting to put in a V8 for awhile and I had already decided after reading the posts in here, that the easiest way to change the clutch, PP, and throwout bearing was to pull the engine.

Figured I might as well find a good used V8, since I would be pulling the six anyway and was hoping to do it inexpensively as possible.

But after posting and reading a few posts, I went back out to start my Bronco and move it in the garage. But she woudn't turn over. Engine is seized up tight. Strange it was running cool and had good oil pressure when I shut it off, just had a loud schreeching I thought was the throwout bearing.

So now that I know from the previous advice that my six cylinder 3 speed wouldn't be compatable. Is there any junkyard engine/tranny combinations out there that will bolt up fairly easy, without braking the bank?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First off, put a wrench on the crank pulley and try and turn the engine over.
Next take off the belts and try it again. If it still won’t move even with the belts off it may really be siezed. I have had vehicles with locked up accessories that wouldn’t allow the engine to turn over. A siezed waterpump or alternator is a much easier fix then doing a V8 swap.
If all else fails, get it rolling down the street and pop the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear.

If it really is a siezed engine, and you are really want the job of doing a V8 conversion, best donor is another bronco. Beyond that, just look at any of the hundreds of posts regarding swapping in anything from LTD engines to truck engines to mustang engines to explorer engines to buying crate engines.

Make sure to match engine balance with both the flexplate balance and the balancer balance. All have to match or send parts to the balance shop and make them match. there are 3 and 4 bolt balancers, standard and reverse waterpumps, plus the short Explorer waterpump. Front and rear sump pans. EFI or carb. Flat or roller cam and the matching cam gear. Exhaust options and limitations if using late model Explorer P-heads. Radiator and core support to deal with. Some of the later blocks have issues with a missing clutch linkage hole.

A lot of this stuff is a pain for most of us to deal with when we have to original V8 right next to us to compare it to. It will become more difficult when you don’t have an original V8 reference to look back to and are trying to figure out how the equilizer bolts to the engine when no one realized that the 6 cylinder equilizer may be slightly different then the V8.

I would get a few restoration parts books and study. Look at stuff that is listed differently between 6 and V8 or more often only listed for V8. That is all the little stuff that is a pain to deal with. Engine and trans are easy to come by, it is the little stuff that will kill you and make the difference between a good swap and a hack job. For that reason, look for the most rotted out, rust bucket, POS bronco you can find for a donor for the little stuff.

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
I think I saw a 3 speed dana combination in ebay today, if you look though alot of guys sell them cheap on the board. Good luck.

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
Don't forget that you will need to cut out the old motor mounts and weld in new ones. You will also need a different radiator and will need to weld in the mounts for those also. You will need different throttle linkage and a few other things. It isn't that hard of a switch but it does take a little time.