• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 6 cly bellhousing 200 swap

camp9k

I am swapping in a 200 6 cly out of a 67 mustang. I removed the 170 bell housing to clean it before installation and noticed it is cast iron. The bell housing on the mustang engine is aluminum. Any reason I can't use the mustang aluminum one? The bronco bell has years of baked on grease and grime that is going to take a ton of work to clean and Im getting lazy!

Thanks
John

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
If it has the provision mounting the bellcrank bracket on the side, then you should be able to use it. The Mustang one might not have it though.

OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

Thanks...I didnt think about that at all! I will check for it when I get home and post a pic.

Thanks again!
John

bmbm

I wouldn't think there will be any problem with an aluminum bell. I have a Mustang aluminum bell on my 250 and has been fine.

ChrisC74

I am swapping in a 200 6 cly out of a 67 mustang. I removed the 170 bell housing to clean it before installation and noticed it is cast iron. The bell housing on the mustang engine is aluminum. Any reason I can't use the mustang aluminum one? The bronco bell has years of baked on grease and grime that is going to take a ton of work to clean and Im getting lazy!

Thanks
John

Oven cleaner will take the grease, grime and any remaining paint off pretty easily. Just stay away from the fumes...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
All the torque multipled by the transmission and transfer case go back through the bellhousing to be restrained by the motor mounts. 100 ft-lb from the engine, geared down to make 900 ft-lb on the driveshafts, means there is a counter torque of the drivetrain of 900 ft-lb. 100 was created by the engine, the other 800 by the gearboxes. That puts 800 ft-lb through the bellhousing. Thus the reason they were iron in 4WD trucks.

Consider a car only has to deal with just the transmission and isn't used as hard as a truck will use it.

Aluminum will probably work, but there were reasons iron was the original material of choice.

OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

Oven cleaner? Great Idea! as you can see in the pictures 72_EBI was right...the hole that is needed to mount the clutch "stuff" is not on the aluminum mustang bell so Im cleaning the grime off after all!

Thanks
John

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 6