• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Axle Tag Decode

Swerve

Hello...

According to my VIN tag my '66 (170 six cylinder) is supposed to have 4:11 to 1 Limited Slip. I pulled my front and rear axle tags off today to clean them up and see what they say...

Rear: WEN-B
L11 5KB 697

Front: C6TA - AD
2760 - 1 4

Can anyone tell me what they mean? Thanks!

Swerve

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Rear is probably WEN-B.

Attachments

• WEN-B.jpg
    WEN-B.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 64

colby45

If it makes any difference as far as reference goes my VIN axle code for my '66 is A5 and my front axle is C6TA-AC and it is not limited slip.

elan

Loc.
s
I had a buddy that had a '66 with Traction lok front and back from the factory.

We got in a '66 with open front and open rear differentials...............making it....
a two wheel drive Bronco on it's best day.

Last summer a '73 with the same factory set up.........open front and back. In my limited capacity four wheel drive was rather optimistic thinking.

colby45

I had a buddy that had a '66 with Traction lok front and back from the factory.

We got in a '66 with open front and open rear differentials...............making it....
a two wheel drive Bronco on it's best day.

Last summer a '73 with the same factory set up.........open front and back. In my limited capacity four wheel drive was rather optimistic thinking.

While obviously locking or limited slip differentials offer benefits for offroading, open differentials suffice in many situations and I would hardly call a Bronco with open diffs "two wheel drive."

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
^ no way, open diffs absolutely are 2wd. Unless you are driving with momentum on your side! In which case 2wd is fine!