• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 cooling question

fwilder

Hey all

The 1966 half cab has a white plastic coolant bottle connected to the drain tube coming off the surge tank behind the radiator. The drain tube comes off the left side of the tank and points to the ground. What is that supposed to be connected to if anything? The coolant bottle is ugly and needs to go. It sits right where the washer fluid bag goes and I'm getting a new one of those

Thanks
Fred

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Neither of mine have a bottle, just a hose that runs down the side of the radiator.

Major Tom

Contributor
the same on my 66, no bottle just a tube running down the side of the radiator

KDW66

My half cab had just the hose also when I got. I went to the salvage yard and got a small one off something and mounted it. I'll be putting on Ford one that has the washer fluid and coolant overflow that's combined.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you have the surge tank, not the later style pressure cap on the radiator that most are accustomed to.

As originally built, the tube just dumping on the ground is correct. Even my parent's '84 econoline was that way.

OP
OP
F

fwilder

So the tube on the surge tank wouldn't have a line running from it? It just dumps straight out?

thanks,
Fred

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think there is suppose to be a dump hose to the ground, but not to a recovery tank. But you can add a recovery tank if desired.

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep the '66s just had a dump tube that ran down left side of the radiator. On a stock radiator there will be two hook clamps that hold the dump tub.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, what they said. Broncos did not get the radiator overflow tank until model year '73.
Cars got stuff like that a few years earlier typically, and sometimes even the full-size trucks, but not sure what the specifics are. Just that EB's got them in '73.

Paul