• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Dr. Pepper Bronco

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Check out this Bronco we got in at the Shop, it is a 1966 U15 with low miles on it. they say the first one sold in El Paso 1-25-66 at El Paso Ford now Casa Ford check out the actual sales receipt 1/2 page that is it, nothing like todays contracts. We are still doing research but check out the buyer and options too bad we can't buy Broncos for this kind of money today.

Attachments

• 66 invoice less vin.jpg
    66 invoice less vin.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 66 front.jpg
    66 front.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 66 rear.jpg
    66 rear.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 66 inside.jpg
    66 inside.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 66 horn.jpg
    66 horn.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 66 hub.jpg
    66 hub.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 66 top handle.jpg
    66 top handle.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 66 gauge.jpg
    66 gauge.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 66 engine.jpg
    66 engine.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 211

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very cool and interesting. So am I understanding correctly that the local Dr Pepper plant bought it? I also notice Barq's name and that is a root beer that I sell in my vending machines.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That's good stuff thanks for sharing! Had a few changes and some new paint at some point but what a great find!! Wonder how many miles are really on it?

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Yes. That is cool for sure, Jason. I wonder what happened to the 16" wheels and why they changed the instrument cluster? That interior decor is "Dr. Pepper" for sure!....complete with a gun rack and a fire extinguisher!

OP
OP
Cactus killer

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Yes. That is cool for sure, Jason. I wonder what happened to the 16" wheels and why they changed the instrument cluster? That interior decor is "Dr. Pepper" for sure!....complete with a gun rack and a fire extinguisher!
The wheels are 16" not sure what hub cabs would have been on there with the 16' option. We have only installed a battery and are testing lights and electrical now.

OP
OP
Cactus killer

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
That's good stuff thanks for sharing! Had a few changes and some new paint at some point but what a great find!! Wonder how many miles are really on it?
I am thinking they used some whatever paint when the dealer painted the hood and top to match "Tutone red and white"

OP
OP
Cactus killer

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Very cool and interesting. So am I understanding correctly that the local Dr Pepper plant bought it? I also notice Barq's name and that is a root beer that I sell in my vending machines.
Yes Barqs of El Paso is what I would guess.
I am looking into the El Paso Dr Pepper bottling plant to see if they have any old photos of it.

rixtasan

Contributor
Very cool story! I’m an El Pasoan, born and raised. Check your messages. I may be able to help get more information.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The wheels are 16" not sure what hub cabs would have been on there with the 16' option. We have only installed a battery and are testing lights and electrical now.
Ford didn't make any 16" caps specifically for the bronco, so those are truck caps I guess?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I’m wondering how that speedometer needle got bent. Somebody musta really been in a hurry.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice! Can you post a picture of the vin tag? Looks like an original raven black rig.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Ford didn't make any 16" caps specifically for the bronco, so those are truck caps I guess?
Most Ford 'dog dish' style caps will work on the factory 16" wheels, and Bobby is right about Broncos with 16" wheels from the factory not having caps. I guess that's why I didn't recognize that they were 16"..... because I couldn't see the wheel for the caps... It's easy for me to tell if I can see all the wheel.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yes Barqs of El Paso is what I would guess.
I am looking into the El Paso Dr Pepper bottling plant to see if they have any old photos of it.

Always cool when you can get the pics to go w/the history good luck