• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1967 Bronco with a 289 HiPo

Ol' Blue

Loc.
Atlanta
Hey Guys,

My 1967 U15 Bronco came with a 289 V8. My builder just ran the numbers on the engine block and confirmed it is a 289 HiPo block.

Did Ford use any of the 1965-1967 K-Code Mustang HiPo engine blocks in Broncos during this time? I would love to think this block is the original engine block that came in the Bronco.

Thank You!!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Not that I'm aware of. Mustang only.

Did your engine builder check the head casting numbers and also determine if the lifters are solid lifters, not hydraulic??

Can you run the engine on gas with octane rating less than 94octane?

Key to the K code 289 is the heads, cam and lifters. Without those intact you have a 289 block with common 289 heads, cam and lifters.

I did install a K code 289 into my Bronco back in the early '80's. Having to pay for premium gas on a new families budget got old. I pulled it and built my 351.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only difference between the hipo 289 blocks and all the rest of the 289 blocks was that they had slightly wider main bearing caps. (Mexican blocks did too). But that's the only difference in blocks...

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
In many cases the block is 100% the exact same as a standard block. This is a common mistake.

Only difference is hipo blocks should have the VIN or partial VIN.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
The crankshafts are different ,, the hipo will have a slip off counterweight that slides on behind the crank gear,,, the block may or may of have a partial VIN stamped on the right front side just above the oil pan rail

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Block is a block is a block. The hipo's had vin's stamped in the block. Not sure of the location.

Like others said it's what's on the inside that counts.

Worth something to "that guy" who's restoring a hipo stang and needs a block. Outside that it's just a block.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As stated, block is the same. The list he looked at just happen to have hipo at the top of the list.
The main bearing caps are beefier. The caps were also used in later years with the Mexico blocks. Not interchangeable, the machine work after the block is cast makes the caps matched to the block.
The crank is a standard 289 crank, but had extra inspections done to make sure the casting came out just right.
And the other stuff mentioned above.

Unless you have all the special parts that make it a k-code, it isn't.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The crankshafts are different ,, the hipo will have a slip off counterweight that slides on behind the crank gear,,, the block may or may of have a partial VIN stamped on the right front side just above the oil pan rail
News to me....the only engines I've seen the counterweight on the spacer were 428SCJs and some 385 series engines. Been a long time (over 40 years) since I laid hands on a 289 hipo though. The counterweight added to the 428 SCJ and the 385 series engines is simply a "hatchet" hanging off the spacer that both engine families use. Outside the timing cover in clear view.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is a pretty good write up of the k-code.

I always understood the counterweight was there because the different damper. Not due to heavier rod bolts. But that is just old stories.

The brinnel test on the crankshaft leaves a mark. There are a lot of 289 cranks out there with the mark. They were tested, didn't pass the k-code test but were still good enough to be regular 289 cranks.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah well mine has one! (or at least a sticker :) )

Attachments

• 289.jpeg
    289.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 17