• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1967 California Emissions

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That’s me! I decided to keep it and restore it to stock. Then I found this V8 Roadster, and couldn’t say no.

I know that I can’t keep them both, but until someone comes up with a good trade, I don’t mind having two.

Good deal, that's a keeper for sure!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can verify a CA 66 six cylinder had all the smog gear, so there is that.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
This is my '67. I drove it to your house to pick up the Dana 44 a few years ago.

This was bought brand new in Santa Rosa in February of 1967. I bought it from the original owner who lives down the street from me. For the most part, it's bone stock under the hood (not the original 289 anymore, but all other parts are original)

This CA '67 had the smog pump and associate smog equipment when purchased and all parts are still intact.

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3883.jpg
    IMG_3883.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 73

mrdrnac

Contributor
Just to confirm, we bought a 67 Bronco V-8 U13 model from the dealer in AZ in 67 and it did have the California Emissions package on it, and it also included the Thermactor pump and system just like shown in the pictures of the Blue and Red Broncos. It all sat on the shelf in my Dad's garage for years. Don't know what happened to it.

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
This is my '67. I drove it to your house to pick up the Dana 44 a few years ago.

This was bought brand new in Santa Rosa in February of 1967. I bought it from the original owner who lives down the street from me. For the most part, it's bone stock under the hood (not the original 289 anymore, but all other parts are original)

This CA '67 had the smog pump and associate smog equipment when purchased and all parts are still intact.

Thanks Justin!
Super helpful pics. I should have paid more attention. I might have some more questions for you. Hope you don't mind. Yours is the first 67 I've seen with a surge tank, but no fill provision on the radiator tank. Also great to know. thanks again.

Does your V8 have a special vacuum pump on the fuel pump, or do the wipers just connect to the intake?

Th

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
Just to confirm, we bought a 67 Bronco V-8 U13 model from the dealer in AZ in 67 and it did have the California Emissions package on it, and it also included the Thermactor pump and system just like shown in the pictures of the Blue and Red Broncos. It all sat on the shelf in my Dad's garage for years. Don't know what happened to it.

I would be interested to buy them if you can find them. I posted an ad in the parts wanted section. THANKS!

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
It is correct for the only radiator cap to be on the surge tank.
NECFP has one of your fuel pumps:
https://northeastclassicfordparts.c...ord-bronco-roadster-half-cab-c6tz-9350-b.html

Uh-oh. That is a C6TZ-9350-B. That can't be good. All of the passenger cars, and the F series trucks and E series Vans were electric wipers by 1966. So that only leaves the U series. So the design application was 66 Bronco specific. ugh.

I wonder if the Edsel or Y block lever arm would fit in the 6 cyl 170 dual action pump. I suppose I could clone it. I'm not sure I want to pay $400 for a fuel pump for a small block Ford.

but Thanks!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Thanks Justin!
Super helpful pics. I should have paid more attention. I might have some more questions for you. Hope you don't mind. Yours is the first 67 I've seen with a surge tank, but no fill provision on the radiator tank. Also great to know. thanks again.

Does your V8 have a special vacuum pump on the fuel pump, or do the wipers just connect to the intake?

Th

It still has a dual action fuel pump. For a long time, the fuel part of it was blocked off and the pump was just used for the wipers. At some point in the past, the original owner had an electric pump for the fuel installed.

I kept having fuel delivery issues in hot weather, so earlier this year I bypassed the electric pump and hooked up to the original mechanical pump. So far so good.

I've got a few dual action pumps here if you're looking for one.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Being up front in the engine compartment, and mounted about as high as you can get it, the electric pump was always going to have the potential to be a problem.

Paul

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Being up front in the engine compartment, and mounted about as high as you can get it, the electric pump was always going to have the potential to be a problem.

Paul

What I find odd about the electric pump mounting is the original owner had that done by an old school shop here in town. The old school professional mechanic should have been well aware of the heat problems of mounting it in the engine bay as well as the fact that electric pumps work much better at pushing than pulling. Why it wasn't installed back on the frame near the tank is beyond me.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question. But I always thought the oil-bath type was simply an option. Not standard on anything, unless it was for vehicles delivered originally to the desert areas or something like that.
But most Broncos I ever saw, smogged or not, had regular dry air filters.

Whether or not they had been changed out later by owners I would have no way of knowing.

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Good question. But I always thought the oil-bath type was simply an option. Not standard on anything, unless it was for vehicles delivered originally to the desert areas or something like that.
But most Broncos I ever saw, smogged or not, had regular dry air filters.

Whether or not they had been changed out later by owners I would have no way of knowing.

Paul

It should say on the Marti Report. Pretty sure I've seen it listed on several.

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
Just a paper element. Like Paul, my understanding is the oil bath cleaners were simply an option and not standard equipment on anything.

Ok, sounds like standard equipment on the 1967 V8 is paper element. So Paper element will not show up on the Marti. But the oil bath is an option, and I should see it on the Marti.
On the 1967 I6, the oil bath was standard...and there was no optional paper. So you won’t see oil bath on the Marti.

That makes sense. I’ll order the Marti tomorrow.

Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
My 68... than Paul owns... which is no longer stock.

Smog pump was frozen... And different from 67 as well.

Attachments

• DSCN0873.jpg
    DSCN0873.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0927.jpg
    DSCN0927.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 52

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
does your 67 still have the factory heads. if so the check valve bolts right to the heads my 67 mustang had those and when the smog pump fell off I had to make stepped plugs with a center hole for a bolt to plug the exhaust leak. later models got injection tubes above the exhaust manifolds drilled and tapped into the heads.

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm reviving this 7 month old thread just to update it, and post what I learned just in case someone else stumbles on in in the future.

The 1967 Thermactor system on the Bronco is unique, but it does share some parts with other Ford Intermediate cars. The Pump, Diverter, outlet hoses, diverter bracket, vacuum lines, check valves, alternator tensioner bracket, and heads are all C6OE parts. The Smog pulley, upper and lower pulley, alternator mounting bracket, smog pump tensioner, smog pump inlet filter canister, and smog inlet hose are 66-67 Bronco V8, CA emissions ONLY. They are C6TE parts...and were all revised in 68.

The pulley system uses the 289 style 3 bolt damper, (C5AE) and double sheave pulleys on the water pump and crankshaft. One v-belt routes around the crank, water pump, and single alternator pulley. The other v-belt routes around the crank, water pump, and smog pump. That configuration uses the catalog belts listed in the MPC.

The surge tank is also Bronco specific, and carries a C7TE part number for 67. I don't know what's different about the 1966...but Ford revised the part number for 67.

The smog pump inlet filter is Bronco...but you could probably make one out of a 67 T-bird body and a 67 Mustang 6 cylinder top.

Thanks to Justin (thegreatjustino) and Doug for the pics.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 33