• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1968 Bronco 3spd tranny

Deuce-Merchant

Hi Guys
I'm Kelly Johnson from BC Canada
I am new to the forum, but have had a few Broncos over the years.
I had a 68 chassis left over from the last project, so I used the drive train in a 32 Ford pickup project I am working on.
I dont want to use the three in the tree column and I dont have room for a floor shifter.
Is there a direct replacement tranny(3 or 4 speed)that will bolt in and that has the top loader shifter like the newer Fords? I need the shifter to come out of the top of the tranny.This would save a ton of screwing around.
This is a 4x4, so it would need to bolt to the engine and transfer case.

If there is such a tranny, where would I find one and does anyone have one?
Here are a few pics of the project.
Thanks for your help

Kelly

DadsTruck001.jpg

DadsTruck002.jpg

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
that's gonna be cool looking! you gonna keep a 6 in it or go with a V8?

the good news is you already have the intermediate housing to put in a NP435. that has the shifter that has the tower right on top. down side for your particular project is the granny low. but the 6 cyl 3 speed to dana 20 adapter is the one needed for this tranny.

OP
OP
D

Deuce-Merchant

Yes I am leaving the 170 cu 6cyl in it.
I think I have one of these trannys out of a 79 Ford 1/2 ton 4x4.It is big and bulky and doesnt attach to the eng or transfer case, could this be the one you are talking about?

Thanks again
Kelly

OP
OP
D

Deuce-Merchant

Wow
Thanks guys, I will keep my eyes open.
That is a great article, I just gave away a two wheel drive tranny last summer.
O well

Thanks again
Kelly

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is also a trick using the top cover from a Jeep T150 transmission that gives you a top shifter for the existing 3-speed. I have heard of it working with the V8, it should work with the I6. The article should be in a back issue of Bronco Driver (that I don't have in front of me)

OP
OP
D

Deuce-Merchant

That's what I was looking for.
I dont really want to buy a bunch of parts and pull the truck apart again.I have already had the drive shafts done and all the tranny mounts are done etc.
Does anyone have any more info on this change up?
Wow thanks for the info guys, this is priceless

Kelly

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
COULDN'T HE ALSO USE ON OF THE T19 trans from the next model ford trucks..To me it would be just a little more comfortable to drive in that truck ..Low gear being syn...in 1st gear and 1st not so low as or NP435..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
COULDN'T HE ALSO USE ON OF THE T19 trans from the next model ford trucks..To me it would be just a little more comfortable to drive in that truck ..Low gear being syn...in 1st gear and 1st not so low as or NP435..

No, he is running a straight 6. That has a shorter transmission then the V8. The T19 is an inch longer then the V8 3-speed. since he already has all the mounts and driveshafts done then changine to the T19 would make all kinds of mess.

Still at work, don't know what the exact refernce parts you need are.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
this is a good place to look around foe what you need. /www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t90.htm