• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1968 Bronco factory color names

Jennifer

Hi, I need your help! My brother owns a 1968 Bronco that is all original -- he got it from my grandparents a few years ago. It is a bright aqua or turquoise color. Could somebody PLEASE help me out and tell me the name of this color? I am working on a scrapbook of our family's cars and I have searched all over the web with no luck in finding the official name of this color. Thanks in advance!!!
Jennifer

OP
OP
J

Jennifer

Thank you! It is actually lighter than Caribbean Turquoise and looks closer to the '69 color Aztec Blue.

My mom mentioned today that it was titled originally as a '69 but she was sure that was wrong because it was purchased in spring 1968, just before my folks got married. Could it have been an early release '69? I know the new models usually didn't come out until the fall, but there were exceptions.

Thanks again, and if anyone can offer some clarification on this I'd appreciate it.

Jennifer

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
If it was purchased in '68 it will have '68 colors , regardless of what it was titled . The only way you will know the color for sure is get the code off the VIN tag . It probably is Peacock Blue there was more than one & Ford dropped that color in '69 . That may narrow it down some . Ford was pretty standard on color names but you will find different names for the same colors in paint manufactors books .

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Is this it?

I believe this was called peacock blue. This is the original color from my 68 Sport. I am not very original, so I'm doing it the factory color. I had it mixed per the paint code. Note that it looks quite different from the 37 year old faded paint that's probably on there. Mine did.

Now I just need to sign up as a contributer so I can post pics directly into the post. Next week I promise!!

Freshly Painted Tailgate

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Keep in mind that the colors you see on your monitior may not be the exact shade that you see in person its just one of those things just verify with VIN code

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
In 68 the Vin number doesn't include the paint code. If the information plaque is still on the glovebox door then it should have it there though.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer

Okay, I really think the Peacock Blue is the right color. I definitely was considering both the variations due to age and the scanner/monitor problem, but I still think the Caribbean Turquoise is too dark.

My mom says she thinks the Peacock is not green enough, so am anxiously awaiting a call from my bro to tell me what he has found in the glovebox.

BTW, you guys are awesome -- when he gets ready to restore the Bronco I will definitely point him to this site. His current project is a '40 Ford and he has a couple of '66 Fairlanes, too, so it will be a while before he gets to the Bronco.

Bronco_46256

Loc.
Elkhart
Check my gallery----

My half cab is called out as "Skyview Blue" on the original window sticker.

bronco_46256

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Hey Jen, the original color on my 68 looked more green than what they mixed for me at the paint shop. I attributed it to the original paint being pretty faded. I'm curious to see if the paint code on your brother's is the same as mine. This pic shows the original paint color that was on my 68. I think it looks more green.

Original Paint on the Door

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Check the Vehicle Rating Plate on the glove box door.

There is a letter code under the COLOR heading.

code--"M" spec #--Color
"B"---- 556-A------Turquoise
"D"--- 1638-A------Med. Turquoise
"U"--- 2097-A------Med. Green

These are from the 1968 Shop Manual.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer

Hey TJK74,
I used your link (thank you) and my brother checked the code on the plate in the glovebox. It was a U -- but medium green doesn't sound right to either of us. When I looked at the Ford - 1968 colors there is a Tahoe Turquoise listed as "U".

Anybody know if that's a possibility? It doesn't show up as an option when I click Ford Truck-1968.

Boy, it's really annoying when you get a girl posting a whole bunch here, huh?

Sorry, dudes.... gotta do this scrapbook for my dad. ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Tahoe Turquoise sounds like it might be a winner. Keep in mind that the Bronco is not necessarily classified as a truck. Ford marketed it as a wagon.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer

I looked again at the link provided by YelloTx73 and the color listed at "U" is Lunar Green/Medium Green. A glance at the chip makes me think this is the likeliest option so far. My mom kept looking at the other colors I've mentioned and saying there wasn't enough green in them. I'm going to send the link to her and see what she thinks.

Again, thanks for all your help. Who knew there would be so many possibilities?