• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 Bronco 170 3 speed top speed?

bmbm

swap for 200

That 200 swap is a good move. Swap the oil pan and pickup tube from your 170. Good luck.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You've got too much tire for both the engine and gearing.
If you started with 4.11s, your effective ratio is now 3.88 with the 30-1050-15 tires. Also the tires are wider and heavier than the factory ones were. You would be a good candidate for 4.30 gears.

This reminds me of my experience with my Honda Trail 90. It would easily hit 50 mph. I wanted a bit more. I put on a rear sprocket with three less teeth. After that it would actually go faster in third gear than fourth gear, but never made it back to 50 mph with that combination.

OP
OP
A

ArkyJoe

Loc.
Arkansas
My goal is to get to 55-60 without having to mash the pedal to the floor and be going downhill. The 200 should cure a lot of other problems Im having in the engine compartment.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Had a 72 with 4. Whatevers in the chunk that the p.o. swapped in a 200 inline 6. I put a set of Clifford split headers on it and was running 75-80 mph with 3.5 inch lift and 9:00 X 16 military nondirectional tires. Speed verification by local PD. Was it safe at that speed? Oh, heck no, but was calibrating Speedo. Was it hard on engine? Yep, spun the crank in main bearings.
Randy