• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 or 1974??

jmathews2u

Loc.
Portland, OR
I am looking at a couple of Bronco's right now. Both are by the same guy. He has a 1974 and a 1970. Here is the good and the bad on both: BOTH run good...

1974 -
Good:
HUGE RV cam in a 302 with a 4brl carb
3" suspension lift
Automatic
Seems decent
No rott

BAD:
Has a Sunroof cut into the hard top (LAME)
Needs a new front pass fender
No spare tire carrier
Custom roll bar preventing the wiper motor from being installed
Original paint needs love, has lots of cracks and looks real rough..

1970 -
Good:
Overall Body is clean
original paint
3 speed on the floor
302 with a 2brl

Bad:
Has cancer in the floor pans on both sides
No spare tire carrier
Crappy bald tires

My questions are

1) I like the 74 or the automatic tranny and built engine But HATE the fact that the top has a crappy sunroof in it. Is that hard to fix? Plus it has a aftermarket roll bar and the wiper motors won't fit on as a result. I will need to replace that, we need wipers in the pacific NW.

2) The 70 seems in better shape based on the pictures, but it has floor pan issues. Is that a HARD fix? Can it be repaired without separating the body from the frame (total resto)?

IS one better than the other? I would appreciate an expert opinion. I know NOTHING about these. Obviously I need to so out and look at them before I make any final decisions. He is asking a million dollars for these, but I think he is flexible. He needs to get rid of them, he says. I look forward to hearing back from you guys.

Jason

Ovalis

Contributor
Loc.
Los Angeles
For the money or time you would spend on doing the floors on the 70, you could just buy another hardtop for less and put it on your 74.
I would take the 74 anyway since you get a Dana 44 instead of the Dana 30 on the 70.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I agree....the '74 will have a Dana 44 (assuming the front ends are factory) and if your biggest issue with the '74 is just the lame sunroof....you can get a new top real easy! It sounds like the '74 is the better buy.

OP
OP
J

jmathews2u

Loc.
Portland, OR
I would prefer the 74 also. The main problem is the 74 is almost twice the price. 74 - $6900 and the 70 - $3800. Does that change any of your opinions??

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Have you seen these or are you going on what the seller is telling you? They have been for sale for months. One of them was a roll over.
If you don't have much experience with Broncos it would be a good idea to take someone with you to see them.
I know when you are looking there doesn't seem to be any around,they come up all the time.
Spend a lot of time on here and ask a lot of questions,you'll end up with a better deal,the more you know.

aaronbodell

Loc.
Olympia
Have you seen these or are you going on what the seller is telling you? They have been for sale for months. One of them was a roll over.
If you don't have much experience with Broncos it would be a good idea to take someone with you to see them.
I know when you are looking there doesn't seem to be any around,they come up all the time.
Spend a lot of time on here and ask a lot of questions,you'll end up with a better deal,the more you know.

What he said.

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA

What they both said. Take your time, and learn first. Will save drama and cash.

OP
OP
J

jmathews2u

Loc.
Portland, OR

One was in a roll over :eek: I would have never guessed that by the photo's. These bronco's have been on CL for a while, they use to be a pair. I just thought he was asking to much, that's why they were still there. Everything I know about them is from what the owner told me on the phone. I thought I would do some research first before I drove to go look at them. I would assume that a roll over would be obvious in person, right? A roll over would be OUT of the question.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I have a friend that looked at it and said it had a lot of damage.His ad said that it needs top repair,windshield frame. I haven't seen these in person,just what i've heard.
These things are 40 years old, even things that have been "rebuilt" could of been 30 years ago. Good luck with the search.We have a pretty good bunch of locals that get together from time to time and welcome newbies....we were all one once!!

N747JB

Do you know which one was rolled, the 74 or the 70? These Broncos are from the same person.

You are getting good advice here, be patient! Don't get fixated on one Bronco, there are hundreds for sale! I've been in the new car business all my life and I wish I had found this site and done more research before I bought mine. Don't get me wrong I like th one I'm building, I just could have saved some money and aggravation if I had come here first.;) watch the for sale ads on here, not a lot, but a few nice trucks come up and guys point out ones they see listed in other places that might be of interest, also avoid an eBay Bronco seller in Flacker AL.;)

Bullitt94

Loc.
Marshfield, WI
I would prefer the 74 also. The main problem is the 74 is almost twice the price. 74 - $6900 and the 70 - $3800. Does that change any of your opinions??

That would sway me. If you don't mind the work you can buy floor pans, a Dana 44 w/ disc breaks, a 4bbl carb, and a cam and still have money left over to put toward tires and a spare tire carrier with that big of a price difference.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
There are a lot of good bronco people in the portland area (do a search for "Portland") They would be really great at helping you out find just what you need. Trust me, take your time, research, have a bronco brother help you decide. You don't want to buy the wrong one. :eek::)

OP
OP
J

jmathews2u

Loc.
Portland, OR
There are a lot of good bronco people in the portland area (do a search for "Portland") They would be really great at helping you out find just what you need. Trust me, take your time, research, have a bronco brother help you decide. You don't want to buy the wrong one. :eek::)

That's what I keep on hearing. I have restored old VW's in the past and learned the hard way. I bought a 59 that was a complete rust bucket. :cry: Don't want to do that again, thats why I found this site. The guy who own's these is in a bind and I may be able to LOW BALL him to get one. I am in the new car business also and I know NOT to rush into things, especially with old cars. But because I am in the car business, I also get very excited about COOL older cars.. ;D I have been talking to a guy I met on here and he has been giving me some great advise so far. Maybe I can talk him into a trip to go look at it. The main problem is I have Wednesday and Thursday off (new car business) and normal people have the weekend off. %)

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
That's what I keep on hearing. I have restored old VW's in the past and learned the hard way. I bought a 59 that was a complete rust bucket. :cry: Don't want to do that again, thats why I found this site. The guy who own's these is in a bind and I may be able to LOW BALL him to get one. I am in the new car business also and I know NOT to rush into things, especially with old cars. But because I am in the car business, I also get very excited about COOL older cars.. ;D I have been talking to a guy I met on here and he has been giving me some great advise so far. Maybe I can talk him into a trip to go look at it. The main problem is I have Wednesday and Thursday off (new car business) and normal people have the weekend off. %)

I have Fridays and Sundays off but on the days I work I'm usually home by 2pm. I live in Beaverton so I'm nearby. The seller used to park one of the EB's on TV Hwy near the NAPA. I never stopped to look at it because I was on my way somewhere and the timing wasn't right, but a friend of mine looked and said it was a mess. It was the one that had rolled. Would be good to show up at the guy's place with another EB though. Might help keep him more honest. I wouldn't call myself an EB expert, but I've touched about every square inch on mine. Send me a PM if you want my help. Might be able to get one of the other locals to come along as well.

Jim

70 Steed

I wouldn't buy either one of them based on your description. I would look for something better even if it was more money. The cost to fix either one would quickly add up especially if you are not doing all the work your self.

OP
OP
J

jmathews2u

Loc.
Portland, OR
I have Fridays and Sundays off but on the days I work I'm usually home by 2pm. I live in Beaverton so I'm nearby. The seller used to park one of the EB's on TV Hwy near the NAPA. I never stopped to look at it because I was on my way somewhere and the timing wasn't right, but a friend of mine looked and said it was a mess. It was the one that had rolled. Would be good to show up at the guy's place with another EB though. Might help keep him more honest. I wouldn't call myself an EB expert, but I've touched about every square inch on mine. Send me a PM if you want my help. Might be able to get one of the other locals to come along as well.

Jim

They BOTH are in Vancouver now. Was the one that was parked off of TV HWY the one with the white trim on the fenders and hood or was it a solid color rust red including the top (same color)? I would guess the cheeper one was the one that was rolled. You know, I think I may just hold off on these for now. I like the fact that I can spend a bit more an get a MORE solid truck. I had just seen these trucks on CL for a while and thought I could get one for a great deal. Looks like I would have been on the crapy end of that stick.

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
They BOTH are in Vancouver now. Was the one that was parked off of TV HWY the one with the white trim on the fenders and hood or was it a solid color rust red including the top (same color)? I would guess the cheeper one was the one that was rolled. You know, I think I may just hold off on these for now. I like the fact that I can spend a bit more an get a MORE solid truck. I had just seen these trucks on CL for a while and thought I could get one for a great deal. Looks like I would have been on the crapy end of that stick.

It was the one with the white trim...