• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 Uncut Raven Black Barn Find

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

That's pretty cool. Hopefully it's had that bulkhead it's whole life. The local Bronco guru around here swears that bulkheads keep the door posts from sagging over time. Great find.

I believe the bulkhead was original. I took the rusted top off today, Im 99% sure its never been off. The paint under it is flawless. Everything about this Bronco screams original...

The suspension on the passenger is REALLY shot... Its got a wicked lean on that side that is only leveled by a 200lb man sitting in the drivers seat.

I also ordered the Marti Report. So hopefully I find out something interesting.

Next step is slowly get everything ready for body removal.

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 136

Denali09

Holy cow !! That is awesome, good luck on the build and ditto on lots of pictures!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Wow, that's awesome. I can't believe the difference between the washed and unwashed pictures.

How about a couple of under the hood pics? I'd assume that's all stock as well.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Man, that's an awesome score. Plus, it's always a plus when your little helper is into it as much as you!

Jay-P

Loc.
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Wow great score! And of course as has been said already... pics pics pics please. You guy with original finds really need to help us folks doing restos by providing detailed pics. :)

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Pretty much exactly what I was told/thought...

Attachments

• marti report.pdf
    230.9 KB · Views: 68

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I may make a suggestion to anyone finding a reasonably original EB these days. Take very detailed shots of every little corner, nook and cranny for future reference. Not necessarily for you, but for anyone wanting to restore one.

I'm a packrat by nature anyway, so if it was me I'd even find a dark corner to hide the original suspension parts for a future sale. I'd be more like you in wanting to do a 2.5, larger tanks and better brakes (not necessarily in that order!), but with the values of these things climbing so rapidly right now, it's a good bet that for at least the next 10 to 20 years there will be a premium placed on original parts.
We all love the LUBR look, but there's still value in original.

Just sayin'

Paul

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

That's my plan Paul, I'm going to keep everything. I have the room for it. Now I just need to get my order planned out of what I need!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Speaking of black... It was a great day last Saturday at WH as you may already have seen the threads, but one thing that caught my eye early was that we had not 1, but 2 Black Special Decor Broncos there. At least one was a '77, but I think maybe both were!
Like said, Black isn't that common in EB's in general, but two Special Decor striped Black ones was kind of a coup!

Enjoy yours to the hilt. Sounds like it's going to be a fun project.

Paul

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Speaking of black... It was a great day last Saturday at WH as you may already have seen the threads, but one thing that caught my eye early was that we had not 1, but 2 Black Special Decor Broncos there. At least one was a '77, but I think maybe both were!
Like said, Black isn't that common in EB's in general, but two Special Decor striped Black ones was kind of a coup!

Enjoy yours to the hilt. Sounds like it's going to be a fun project.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I did see the pictures. It looked awesome. Maybe next year I could make that drive. Let me know when you are free to discuss that order of mine.

Jason72Bronco

Very nice find! My barn find sat for nine years, and I finally have it on the road. If it is anything like mine...go ahead and plan on new fuel lines and brake lines!

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Very nice find! My barn find sat for nine years, and I finally have it on the road. If it is anything like mine...go ahead and plan on new fuel lines and brake lines!

Thank you, I'm 99% sure you're right. It's not worth it to try to salvage...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Let me know when you are free to discuss that order of mine.

Sure thing. Tomorrow's sounding like a good time to iron out any details. I'll check the details you sent, but if you want to call at any time to get more info, feel free just about any time.
Or if you sent me your number, I'll try to call too. Sometimes calling works one direction better than the other, but we'll make it all come together either way.

Paul

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

been slowly working on getting the body ready for removal. I went way over the top with bracing the body with steel to keep everything in place. I made the wood frame to put the body on based on measuremnts found here.

Then I put up a 12 foot beam (4x8) bracketed to my garage celing joists. the weight is held up by 4x4s on both sideds. A 3 ton chain hoist hangs in the middle to do the lifting....

Body came off smoothly. I honestly cant believe how easy it was. Not one hiccup.

Next comes engine rebuild and lots of cleaning/sandblasting/painting on the frame.

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

pics of the progress

Attachments

• body removal.jpg
    body removal.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 137
  • body off.jpg
    body off.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 125
  • body off 2.jpg
    body off 2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 134

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's some serious help you've got there too!
Maybe that's why it went so easy? Hmm, or not...;)

Paul