• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1971 Bronco 8 pin connector

don k

Contributor
I have a 1971 Bronco that was missing the turn signal wiring to the steering wheel. Steering and shift column was screwed up. Replaced the shift with a Duff floor shift. Replacing the steering column with an aftermarket. The aftermarket has the GMC type connector for the horn - flasher - turn signals. This open 8 pin connector is in that area. I assume it was for those items. I do not see an 8 pin connector in the wiring diagrams I have. Am I not looking right? IMG_3541.JPG

OP
OP
don k

don k

Contributor
I have a 1971 Bronco that was missing the turn signal wiring to the steering wheel. Steering and shift column was screwed up. Replaced the shift with a Duff floor shift. Replacing the steering column with an aftermarket. The aftermarket has the GMC type connector for the horn - flasher - turn signals. This open 8 pin connector is in that area. I assume it was for those items. I do not see an 8 pin connector in the wiring diagrams I have. Am I not looking right? View attachment 913065
Connector

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
You can get the adapter from ididit and punch those wires out of that block. This is the layout for the GM connector

IMG_6867.png

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And for a 71 you have to look at the 72 diagrams.
As long as I’ve been doing this, the 71 diagrams are included in the 70 an earlier Broncos. But I have yet to see a 71 bronco wired like a 70, or even a late 70 wired like a 71.
Don’t know when the exact changeover came, but all the 71’s seem to use the 72 wiring.

OP
OP
don k

don k

Contributor
On the connector I took the picture of these are the wires on it. Yellow-yellow with black stripe -2 red with black stripes-blue-blue with yellow stripe -2 green with white stripes-2 white with blue stripes-green. 11 wires in a 8 pin connector. On the steering column there is a GM style 8 pin connector. white-green-yellow-purple-brown-blue-gray and black. I just don't want to screw up and start cutting and splicing wires. I appreciate everyone's advice and knowledge on helping me accomplish this.

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
On the connector I took the picture of these are the wires on it. Yellow-yellow with black stripe -2 red with black stripes-blue-blue with yellow stripe -2 green with white stripes-2 white with blue stripes-green. 11 wires in a 8 pin connector. On the steering column there is a GM style 8 pin connector. white-green-yellow-purple-brown-blue-gray and black. I just don't want to screw up and start cutting and splicing wires. I appreciate everyone's advice and knowledge on helping me accomplish this.
Described in the link above. Green/white is left front turn signal. Connect both to GM blue. White/blue is right front turn. Both connect to GM royal blue. Red/black are the brakes. One to GM white. Other to old hazard switch. I am right in the middle of this change. The wires on the bronco connector are pretty short so not a lot of room to work!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
And for a 71 you have to look at the 72 diagrams.
As long as I’ve been doing this, the 71 diagrams are included in the 70 an earlier Broncos. But I have yet to see a 71 bronco wired like a 70, or even a late 70 wired like a 71.
Don’t know when the exact changeover came, but all the 71’s seem to use the 72 wiring.
Yup, @DirtDonk has been saying this for years.

and Said another way...
The 1970 and older Bronco had the fuse box on the firewall, with a pair of bulkhead connectors near the throttle. The 1971 and newer Bronco had the fuse box in the glove compartment, and the firewall penetration was in a grommet on the passenger side.

I believe that the changeover happened at the Model year change in mid July. It was for sure converted by the time my 71 was built in January.

The 1971 wiring diagrams have been mislabeled since they were printed. No one can ever fix that. Fact is that the 1972 uses the 1971 wiring...but for the purpose of reading the incorrect drawings, it's convenient to think of the 71 using the 72 wiring.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
PLEASE don't cut and splice wires!!!

It is easy enough to make an elegant pigtail that plugs into your factory harness and also plugs into that GM flat multi-pin connector. Someday, if anyone has to restore your harness, they will thank you.

Also remember that the GM column is NOT pin compatible to that connector, and you will have to install a horn relay. The horn on your Ford has two giant wires running thru it. One is battery hot, and goes to the horn brush plate. The horn switch connects it to the other giant wire that energizes the horn. The GM column is a single contact brush plate that goes to ground. Until you re-wire the other end of the horn wires...you can't connect it to the GM horn.

The turn signals are functionally identical. LF, LR, RF, RR, flasher power, and Brake power. (6 wires) plus 2 for the horn.

It's only 8 circuits. Two of the doubled up wires are for the dash signals. They get paired with the front turn lights. It's just a convenient place to connect them.

The decoder matrix was nicely published by "Tom's Off Road 4x4 not Bronco Parts but still selling Parts for Bronco's but had to change the name for copyright, even though Jeff's Graveyard didn't..." attached below.

Attachments

• turn-signal-switch-wiring-factory.pdf
    64 KB · Views: 13

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
PLEASE don't cut and splice wires!!!

It is easy enough to make an elegant pigtail that plugs into your factory harness and also plugs into that GM flat multi-pin connector. Someday, if anyone has to restore your harness, they will thank you

I like this idea a lot. I have the connectors from an old column. Different colored wires but will be easy to put together out of the truck then just plug in.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I like this idea a lot. I have the connectors from an old column. Different colored wires but will be easy to put together out of the truck then just plug in.
Awesome! when you use a Bosch type relay for the horn, you will want to connect the:
yellow wire to pin 30 and 85. This is +12V.
blue with yellow goes to pin 87. and connects to the actual horn.
GM horn wire on the column goes to pin 86, and gets grounded when you push the horn.

This relay can be part of your pigtail.
Enjoy.

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
This is what came with the new column. Yellow wire where is says power from fuse panel? I will put this together tonight.
IMG_6869.jpeg

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Sorry to hijack but hopefully this helps Don K.
@jamesroney regarding the yellow wire coming off the 6 pin (mines a 1969) do I split the wire and connect 1 wire to the horn relay 12v and the other to the K plug on the GM connector to supply emergency flasher feed? Or do I run it in series? Yellow from truck connector to power tab on relay then to K plug on GM?

IMG_6880.jpeg

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Sorry to hijack but hopefully this helps Don K.
@jamesroney regarding the yellow wire coming off the 6 pin (mines a 1969) do I split the wire and connect 1 wire to the horn relay 12v and the other to the K plug on the GM connector to supply emergency flasher feed? Or do I run it in series? Yellow from truck connector to power tab on relay then to K plug on GM?

View attachment 913114
Ugh. @Soylent You should already have an emergency flasher switch in your dash. So now your Bronco has two emergency flasher switches.

The original emergency flasher uses a battery powered source thru a second flasher unit.

The reason for the two flashers is because the turn signals run thru the ignition switch, and the emergency flashers have to work within the key off. So you need to get a “flasher power source” over to the column. The original Bronco harness never brought that circuit over to the column. Sorry.

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
@don k You’re right. I went out to the driveway and pulled the dash hazards and they work lol. I forgot where it was as the truck has been at the builders shop for 7 years.

So the yellow wire is needed to power the horn relay, and if I want the column pull-out hazard to work, it should go to the column harness too. Can I also omit running it to the column harness or does it supply 12v for anything else?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 74 to 77 Broncos did have the hazards in the column, so those wiring diagrams may come in handy.
And if I remember correctly, we have come across one or two early build 74‘s that have the hazard switch both in the dash and the column. But because I don’t think any of them were original owners, there was no way to verify they had not been swapped in later.
So we’ve been trying to keep track of early 74s to see if there is any common thread here.