• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Bronco Hard to Steer

Ark Bigfoot

I have a 72 Bronco and hasn't been driven much in the last 10 years. It is hard to steer. About 20 years ago the Ford mechanic said the front end need to be re-done and had it done. But don't know what all he did. What/where should I start to look for issues? It was low on tire pressure and took it back up to 32. Which helped alot. Would 35 psi be better? Are there any risk of having too much pressure?Tires are 235R15. I am not wanting to put in power steering.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
How much have you driven other manual steering Broncos? If it is different than others, in what way? They are hard to steer in general and that is why most convert.

OP
OP
A

Ark Bigfoot

I have not driven any other Bronco. I bought this new in 1972. How difficult is it to add power steering?

ngsd

Bronco Guru
OK it may just be normal then. It is not hard depending on your mechanical abilities and shop space/tools. Need to add a pump and brackets, pulleys, belts, steering shaft cut and fit and depending on the box possibly drill some holes in different places. If you are not comfortable with that, there are shops that can handle it I am sure. Good luck and that is cool you have owned it that long.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check that your steering box still has lubricant in it.
Your steering u-joints might be stiff with rust, or just old grease.
Your ball-joints might be stiff with rust, or just old grease.
If your tires are old they will make it hard to steer.

And over the years of driving modern vehicles with power steering (if that's the case?) you may just have forgotten what it felt like on top of all the other stuff.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I had a ‘72 with ‘Armstrong' steering. No issues steering above 25 MPH. Not sure why, but after 3 1/2 inch suspension lift with new Duff urethane bushings and 33” tires, low speed steering was better…not sure why. After the new bushings, lift and tires, the only problem was STOPPING. Drums on all 4 corners were just plain ugly.

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One likely possibility was that you lost a couple of degrees of caster even with the new c-bushings.
Also, even though the tires were larger they still could have been easier to steer.

OP
OP
A

Ark Bigfoot

Going to jack the front up and make several turns with the steering wheel and repeat for several days. Perhaps this will loosen up any dried lube and rusted joints. I did check the steering box several months ago and it was dry. I put some lube in it but perhaps damage had been already been done.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I see where you bought this new but did anyone over the years change the steering wheel?? Smaller diameter wheel will a bitch to turn.

OP
OP
A

Ark Bigfoot

I greased all the joints and jacked it up. Turns very, very easy and smooth until you get near the end on a left hand turn. Then it starts to squeal gets very hard to turn, about the last 2-3 inch tire movement to the left. , then a loud pop and then easy for the last inch. At which it bottoms out. Going back to the right it starts off easy, then about the same spot hard, then releases but no pop and is easy to the far right and back to that one spot. This is hard to detect in the movie because there is no pop just a release of the pressure. I shook all the joints but only found the pitman arm to move about 1/32 of inch.-------Possible the steering gear box is bad.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/77159845@N07/51620732470/in/dateposted-public/.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Drop the steering linkage and turn stuff by hand. You can isolate the steering box from the left wheel from the right wheel.

OP
OP
A

Ark Bigfoot

Could you tell me more about this part: You can isolate the steering box from the left wheel from the right wheel. Thanks.

OP
OP
A

Ark Bigfoot

A good mechanic is worth the extra you pay. When they did the alignment they left the bolts in a vertical position. This allowed him to set it up to standards but did not check when making left turns. If he made all right turns everything would appear okay. This vertical position of the bolt caused the bolt to struggle to get past the slot in the castle nut. The "Pop" was when it dropped down into the slot. Then it was easier coming back because it was worn down. I tried to loosen the nuts and turn the alignment bracket but it is frozen up. I put some PB rust Buster, on it and will try again tomorrow. Heated it up with propane tourch for 2 minutes today and it came loose.Now have the bolts horizontal. No issues with turning now.https://www.flickr.com/photos/77159845@N07/51622163077/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

helo-mech

Holy crap; those pictures and video should forever be the example of simple troubleshooting prior to tear down and parts. Glad you were able to locate before too much time and damage was done.

I bet they loosen up just fine after a good soak.