• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Ford Bronco Sport Price

kc135ang

Looks I may have the opportunity to buy from a friend of my fathers a 72 Ford Bronco sport (3sp manual, 302) with less the 7000 original miles. That's not a typo. Runs but probably needs a tuneup. Interior is in mint condition and there is no exterior rust other than some rust on the frame. Paint is faded but not terrible and has some scratches. Rear quarter panel on the passenger side has some primer on it from when it rolled in to a retaining wall but no structural damage from my understanding. Also has a powered Meyer plow. Any idea on a reasonable price for this vehicle? Not trying to screw the owner if I get the opportunity to buy it.

Thanks

Chuck

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The plow scares me. Really look into "some rust on the frame". If the 7K miles are plow miles I would be suspect. If it's in a good of shape as you indicate and has minimal surface rust only on the frame then $20K is probably a good estimate, maybe even a bit more in today's market. Especially if it is still uncut.

Hope you get it at a fair price to you and to the seller. Good Luck!

House

Minutia Militia
Oh man, the beautiful blue one!?!
Any chance you can get me some under hood pics?
I have been dying to get some for my 72 Bronco research.
Feel free to PM me! :cool:

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Depending how bad the side damage is I think 20K is too much, probably closer to 12 the 15 would be my guess but would want to see pictures.

Last edited:

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Depending how badge side damage is I think 20K is too much, probably closer to 12 the 15 would be my guess but would want to see pictures.

in the back of my head was the Bronco a year or so ago with 200? or so miles that was 'listed' for over $100k, no idea what they got or if it even sold (again)

With potential value in mind I think 20k is a fair deal between enthusiasts

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I know what you are saying but damage can really hurt value and primer kills the original paint factor. Remember this one, barbed wire Bronco.

Pictures are really needed.

Attachments

• 100_4799.jpg
    100_4799.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 98

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it's really like that, the paint might even buff out nicely without a re-paint. Hopefully the primer area is small.
Did you look closely at the rusty areas too Chuck? Broncos that sit for long periods up in the mountains waiting for snow, then sit for long periods IN the snow when not in use, do tend to rust almost as fast as the ones that get driven.
But if you're in a salty area and it sat more than it drove (which is what it sounds like) your rust might actually be pretty minimal compared to what it could be.
My '71 was rusted through like Swiss cheese in a few places when it was less than five years old. Now, it was driven lots, and already had 60k miles on it when I got it. But five years and rust-through! Crazy what catches moisture on these things.

Since it's a friend's rig, you may have had good access to all these little details. Which is fantastic and even more cool that you have a chance to get it.
I happen to agree with both of the estimated ranges. If it's rougher than you expect, less than $15k for it. If it's as you say, and nothing else rears it's head, then just on bragging rights alone it's worth $20k.

But be aware, even a 20k Bronco is going to need another couple of grand to bring it back to a driveable state. Items that are still "new" because of the low mileage, will still die an early death from old age once you start to drive it.
Things like fuel pumps, rear main seals, power steering if it was ever added, transfer case seals, transmission seals, other engine seals and gaskets, radiators and heater cores if the coolant was not changed at least every five years or so, rubber fuel lines, stuff like that.
The original hard-ish plastic fuel lines may be in perfect shape still, but there were some bad runs that deteriorated over time too, and they tend to fall apart when you mess around with them. Might as well find out now though, as those are small items compared to what a high-mileage vehicle might suffer from.

Good luck. Hope it's as you say.
Oh, and welcome to classicbroncos too by the way!
We definitely love pics of stuff like this. Even crappy Broncos are fun to check out in before-and-after photos. But a real low-mileage model is a rarity as you can imagine.

Paul

Hi I am very familiar with early Broncos. I have seen some pictures of this Bronco, the one you are talking about. I don't live far from the Bronco. If you want a little education on Broncos and what to look for when evaluating one, give me a call. Thanks Kerry 516 322 1703

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I know what you are saying but damage can really hurt value and primer kills the original paint factor. Remember this one, barbed wire Bronco.

Pictures are really needed.

nope I must have either missed or forgotten about Barbed Wire Bronco

edit: ohhhh the one the guy ran through a fence and parked yes I remember

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
in the back of my head was the Bronco a year or so ago with 200? or so miles that was 'listed' for over $100k, no idea what they got or if it even sold (again)

With potential value in mind I think 20k is a fair deal between enthusiasts

yeah, for sure.. could always vary like others stated, depending on state your in

OP
OP
K

kc135ang

Thanks everyone for the insight. Planning on seeing it at the end of March if it is still available. Owners son sounds like he is interested. I'll let you know what else I find out.

Thanks

Chuck

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks everyone for the insight. Planning on seeing it at the end of March if it is still available. Owners son sounds like he is interested. I'll let you know what else I find out.

Thanks

Chuck

If he decides to sell it won't last until the end of March. Not in today's Bronco market. If it is still available it will indicate he wants too much! Good Luck!