• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Pre-Ranger Build Pics

G8tor38

2010 Pre-Ranger, (prior build was Sept 72)

All the ranger options but was built in Sept of 72 and Ford did not offer the "Ranger Package" until model year 1973. The only thing it doesn't have is the Ranger emblem on the glove box, and the belt line trim which I have purchased all new trim to install when the truck is 99.9% complete. I took all of the old items off the truck, then ordered everything that came off of it new. Stripped the frame and painted with a epoxy primer and them POR-15 for a final coat. The engine, tranny, and dana 20 have all been rebuilt, new disc set up on front end, new Stainless Ididit steering column, new steering wheel, I am removing the pills in the dana 20 due to a recent twin stick install. All wiring, brake lines, lenses, nuts, bolts, washers, screws, carpet, all interior stainless carpet trim, iseats, seat foam, dash, a/c, door handles (in and out), window parts, all new under dash insullation, fire wall insullation all parts removed blasted and painted to original specs and before everything was replaced I sound proofed the entire tub and doors, and will do the top before installing the new headliner with new stainless bow and screws. The entire engine compartment is new, wiring, JD ceramic headers, new edelbrock 4 barrel carb, aluminum intake, electric fan, starter, alternator, etc...etc...Trsut me when I say I replaced it all, new 2.5 wild horses lift with 11 pack rear springs, new 24 gallon rear tank and 12 gallon saddle tank, complete new JD exhaust. 5 New Mickey Thompson 10 x 15 aluminum wheels, 5 New Dick Cepek 32-12.50-15 tires. All new bumpers, bumperettes, well you get the picture.

Ok, well here are some pics, now keep in mind this is my first build but I have wanted one for 30 years and I wanted it to last my life time. The truck is in Florida now but I purchased it out of Arizona.

Thanks guys, let me know what ya think.

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1861.jpg
    IMG_1861.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1855.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 97

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks beautiful! Doing great work. Doesn't look like the first time for anything in fact.

So you're saying then, that '72 was one of those years that ran long? Normally, anything built in September of any year is the next year's model. Sometimes as early as July and August, but mostly by September and October. But you're saying yours is registered as a '72 model year?
Interesting. We were having a similar discussion the other day about all the things that changed mid-year with Broncos, and the '72/'73 model year change was one of the most interesting because of the many changes "officially" slated for '73, like power steering, automatic transmissions, cold-air intake, more car-like smog setups at least for CA trucks, and other stuff.
Someone even got a Marti report for their '72 and it showed power steering as an option I think.

Anyway, some years got non-standard month cut-off dates, so maybe '72/'73 was one of those too.

Keep the pics coming, that's a beaut.

Paul

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
i love it like the sound proof idea i would like to do the same except im not really a fan for carpet that is goin to get dirty. Post some more pics of it i love it.:cool:

OP
OP
G8tor38

G8tor38

Hey Rusty, thanks

yes it is the white illuminuated overlay on the guages, I wanted to keep the stock look and with the Bahama Blue color I choose to go with the white back grround that illuminates Blue or green with me using the blue side of course. This was a much cheaper option then the $500 digital guage and I liked the original look even thoughtthis thing is far from original.

OP
OP
G8tor38

G8tor38

Hey SSD, DirtDonk,

I will get some more pics and post them tomorrow or Wednesday, I have hundreds of pictures of the build from start to present, but don't have as many as I would like at the stage it is now so I will take some tomorrow. Thanks for the comments and I will get some more pics up soon.

Hey Dirt,

Call Melissa and Dana at the Bronco hut, they are the ones that clued me into to the Sept 72 thing, and the Pre Ranger Tag. I am sure she or Dana can hook you up for tons of info for your next sit down with your fellow Bronconians. Melissa is also the one that help me put together 80% of the parts you see on the Bronco and did it fast, and Dana is packed full of Bronco knowledge. We put the truck back together in 2 weeks thanks to a good friend who owns what I call "Crawford Customs" the wiring, a/c, steering, basically got it 90% done due to I had a deadline, but it got to close and we stopped the build in July last year and I restarted it 2months ago and have been taking my time putting final touches on it. I will have it ready for our annual trip to the Smokies in Franklin, NC in July though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G8tor38

G8tor38

More pics of build

Here are a few pics of the beginning of the build and frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1821.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 35

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi, looks great, where did you get your upholstery, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
awesome work !!! 2x ..who did your upholstery ?

OP
OP
G8tor38

G8tor38

73 AZ, give Melissa a call at the Bronco hut and tell her you want the same interior as Steve in Clermont Florida got, she'll know who you are talking about, I drove her crazy for about a year. She can get any color you want in the original style vinyl and houndstooth so if blue isn't your color, no worries. I even had her custom order a tire cover for me with color matching piping to the color of my truck. I had the option of going with OEM vinyl or a cheaper reproduction but chose the OEM for the authenticity. I wanted to keep the original look as much as possible but use as many of the 2010 up grades as I could, she also furnished the ididit steering column.
Melissa and Dana furnished about 70% of all parts you see from interior to nuts and bolts, and loads of information to a novice first time bronco builder. They have a massive inventory of used trucks and parts, restored trucks, and have access to any part you need from all manufacturers. The only thing I would do differently is use Toms, or Chuck (BCBroncos) a/c set ups. I have the Vintage Air prior to Chucks redisign and I do not like it, too many mods needed.
good luck Steve

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I've had many good conversations with Melissa at Bronco Hut too about the Ranger interior on my '73 as well. She even sent me some samples of the materials they use so I could be certain of the match. Very nice & very helpful.

Mine was actually built in August of '72 but seems to have all of the '73 upgrades that were available (except belt-line trim) & is definitely a Ranger. Love that Houndstooth!