• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Rust Repair

Was this helpful?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Archbronco

Contributor
This is great. I am getting ready to tackle this myself. I do however need to change the tail light section, as well. What would you suggest as a starting point? Should I go tail light- quarter-rocker or would you suggest a different strategy?

OP
OP
Bay0726

Bay0726

Loc.
Woodstock GA
This is great. I am getting ready to tackle this myself. I do however need to change the tail light section, as well. What would you suggest as a starting point? Should I go tail light- quarter-rocker or would you suggest a different strategy?

Are you doing upper quarter too? good question, I'll have to take a look at mine. the most important thing is that you leave your self a point of reference for proper panel alignment. If you are just doing the lower quarter you can do the tail light panel and weld to the top quarter saving the rest for the lower quarter. It doesn't matter the order as long as you get it back on straight.

I also wanted to mention if you use flux cored wire it's 10 times easier to weld and there is less chance of warping the metal. Just don't breath the fumes! It's okay for sheet metal but I wouldn't use it on thick metal like frame work roll bars or bumpers.

Archbronco

Contributor
Just the lower quarter. I am using a miller 211. My experience with Flux hasn't been to good. Although I can keep the metal cooler, I spend so much time cleaning up the chicken poop that it all seems a wash. Perhaps I can give it a shot. What's your setup?

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice work. I have been replacing most of the same parts for the last year on my build. You make it look easier than it is.

OP
OP
Bay0726

Bay0726

Loc.
Woodstock GA
Just the lower quarter. I am using a miller 211. My experience with Flux hasn't been to good. Although I can keep the metal cooler, I spend so much time cleaning up the chicken poop that it all seems a wash. Perhaps I can give it a shot. What's your setup?

Maybe you are running it too hot, try turning the heat down. I use a Hobart 850 handler, 220v and with the flux core I run it on 1 with the wire feed at 25-30. With solid wire run at a 2 minimum...