• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1973-302-increasing horsepower

OP
OP
G

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
Is there any test I can do for the torque converter?

The carb is on #7 (.095) Main jet, and 073 x 047 rod. I have been told by several edelbrock techs this is a good place for my altitude (5280).

I have seen on other sites people running many variations.. at altitude. (such as positions #24 and #12.

I recently pulled the plugs and if anything I would say they are either gray or close to white. Not the light brown tan I have heard about..
The engine has never overheated...

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
Heads are still where the biggest gain in these small blocks. If you can find a pair of 70 torinio heads (351 windsor) I beleive where as very good head. Then have them rebuilt with CH#$y values you can get pretty go power for the $. I getting rough 10:1 compression help out over come the auto trans.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Heads are still where the biggest gain in these small blocks. If you can find a pair of 70 torinio heads (351 windsor) I beleive where as very good head. Then have them rebuilt with CH#$y values you can get pretty go power for the $. I getting rough 10:1 compression help out over come the auto trans.

And by the time you have done that you spent more on an old set of heads then what a new set of modern aftermarket heads cost. The new heads will outflow the old ones as well.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
And by the time you have done that you spent more on an old set of heads then what a new set of modern aftermarket heads cost. The new heads will outflow the old ones as well.

I concur. The old World Products Windsor & Windsor Jr. are a pretty good bang for the buck. The sell for about $800 a set ready to bolt on. Carry a set of old castings to the machine shop. Add up 2 sets of valves, springs, retainers, locks, new guides, seats, studs, guide plates, and the labor. I'm guessing you'd be quite disappointed in the price vs. performance. If you shop around you can even find aluminum heads pretty cheap. A new set runs just over $1K. But if you look around places like CraigsList, RacingJunk, or Corral.net, you can find a used set pretty reasonable.

broncbuster

Small block fords can be total dogs if the wrong push rods are installed after a cam swap. this is because of the non adjustable rockers. Push rod length becomes critical. Different cam can = need for different pushrod length.

Also, other than for some race applications, what you really need to be looking at is torque, both how much and where it is made. When you hit the gas from a stand still it is torque you feel. There is no replacement for displacement (especially at high altitude) a 351W will give you more displacement, more stroke, and more torque. Good Luck.

OP
OP
G

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
Could I be losing HP if my rocker arms were not tightened to specs?

I vaguely remember having a friend help me when I installed the rocker arms. I remember there being a specific procedure to follow (intake/exhaust valves #1 TDC..etc)

I dont think we did that procedure.. Instead we went to each cylinder w/out rotating the engine and just tightening the rocker arms down so that the push rods were snug.. But nothing in regards to rotating the engine and working in order.

I dont think I ever checked them again after that..and its been MANY years since the rebuild.

Would the hydraulic lifter take up the slack once the engine is running? Or would they being tightened as above not allow the cam to lift the valves open as far as they should, decreasing hp?

Could that explain my extreme initial timing? 23 degrees..

dkoril

Loc.
Sandpoint, ID
one thing that works great at high elevations are turbo's. the more air shoved in the combustion chamber the better the power. the great thing about turbos is there is no parasitic drain on the motor like a blower. it uses waste to create power instead of a belt running from the crank to make power. just a thought.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Yes I can spin them on light sand, water, rough stuff etc. It is not immediate though..seems like there is a delay before the power is put down. I have said in another post that "launches" really well..but no peeling out and then power seems to die off after 3800 rpm or so.

it really sounds like you have a tuning issue. i would look into that before wasting any money on parts and then have the same possible carb or timing issue.
granted im at sea level, but i had a stock 302(1976) with the typical full length headers, 600 holley edelbrock performer manifold and duraspark advanced a little more than what the book called for. it would pull pretty decent until just over 5000 rpms when the valves would float. now you have more cam and compression, so i definitely think you need to tune something.
have a different carb around you could just throw on real quick to at least see if anything changes better or worse?

fullhouse

one thing that works great at high elevations are turbo's. the more air shoved in the combustion chamber the better the power. the great thing about turbos is there is no parasitic drain on the motor like a blower. it uses waste to create power instead of a belt running from the crank to make power. just a thought.
GREAt! tHOUGHT . . . I have to agree with this turbo is really good specially if you want your vehicle to elevate better.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
302's use bolt down positive stop rocker arms so theres really no adjustment once they are torqued to spec they are good. While tightening in order is best it prevents bad torque readings and possibly pulling a stud I doubt its your problem if you have a lot of lifter ticking then either the rockers are loose, a stud has pulled or componets are worn.
Most aftermarket cams dont need different lenght rocker arms but as with anything correct geometry and lenght should be checked.
You may want to try and richen up your jetting a little if the plugs are more white than any other color than its to lean and your loosing power.

OP
OP
G

greggonzo1

Loc.
Albuquerque NM
Well the engine is relatively quiet, no lifter noise. So I think I am in good shape there. I do remember using a torque wrench when we tightened them down. I just wanted to make sure that Im not losing HP if them being loose caused the lifter to not lift the valves completely.

I am going to richen the carb up a bit because I have slowly been going that way with Rods and the stumble has slightly decreased each time. Talking with edelbrock techs confirms that maybe a jet change is in order.

Yes the turbo idea is a good one. I previously had a twin turbo car that I miss.

68ford

Bronco Guru
i would somehow try to determine if your timing is really as advanced as it appears. hows your fuel economy?