• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1973 sold on Mecum Monteray

vtboy51

It sold for only $18,000, why so cheap, it looked pretty nice.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They've been fickle in pricing all along. We just got used to seeing more and more in the high end, but the low sales have almost always been there.
Not long after a reasonably nice one sold for $70k, two sweet looking restos sold for $22k and $24k back to back.

It happens.

Paul

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
The buyer probably got all Bronco "schooled up" on here and inspected the heck outa it and worked the seller over. lol

Hotrodjohn

hard to tell from those pics the condition of it. I bet that Jade 77 Ranger will bring some money when it goes thru.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
The yellow rock crawler went for 21,000. The blue Bronco looked like a let's throw some paint on this thing and take it to the auction rig. Without being there looking at these in person who knows what you are getting. Appears to be much better selections on the block for Friday. From what I see the market is still climbing. Auctions are a hit and miss place to sell a Bronco.

Jim

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
hard to tell from those pics the condition of it. I bet that Jade 77 Ranger will bring some money when it goes thru.

I think it will too. That's one of Colin Comer's rigs (csx289 here).

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Saw the one you're talking about. I think the overall look had a lot to do with it's seemingly low price.
The stance. The paint (both quality and layout). The fenders. Tires and Wheels. Wrong dash(?). The engine looked to have just been quick-sprayed (but it was hard to tell and they did not give a great engine compartment shot they sometimes do). Didn't see underneath.
All of that meant it just didn't look as cool as some.

Grabber Blue (very close to, or the same as, Bahama Blue) is a great Bronco color. But with the flares and hard top all being the same color, with no flare welting, there was just too much of a good thing.
Wheels just didn't do anything for me. Tires either.
Looked like it wasn't sitting right.
The dash looked like a pre-'73 without the indicator lamps. I didn't get a great look, but I didn't see them.

Could be a nice Bronco, but I'm betting it just didn't get "those two guys in the same room" all hot and bothered for it.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
figure this one out 66 U13 just sold for $110,000.00 especially sad in comparison to the 73 for $18,000.00

BrookTrout76

Loc.
Frisco
Guys,

This looks like as good a place as any to chime in, introduce myself and show my ignorance!

I’m sure you’ve heard the story: Had a 76 Bronco in high school and never wanted to let it go but did. I love the EBa- all of them and always wanted to get another “some day”.

Well I can say, I’m not a mechanic at all, but would like to get into a “driver” with potential to restore “some day”. Which ties me into the OP Topic- been watching prices pretty close last couple years (always out of my budget (budget? Ha!) but they seem to be going through the roof.

I can’t understand this market. I see prices sky high and y’all seem to comment “overpriced”. we seem to be in agreement. Then I see what I think is a square deal Just sit there?

I’ve got the EB itch and sitting on the sideline itching my head.

I understand this is too general, but what would one expect to pay for an 77 original bronco sport with auto transmission/ power steering/power breaks? Terrible paint but expected due to age. Good driver that probably needs to refreshed in a lot of areas? It’s cut (like both ways but would prefer uncut) , no AC, interior original or as original not fresh but certainly driver quality. Is this a $25k bronco?

Tugross302

^^^^youve just described one of the most valuable ones. A lot of buyers want the ‘77 models because of the rear end and the gas tank doors and the disc brakes. A lot of people want the old faded paint because you can see how solid the body is. A lot of people want power steering and brakes. AC is not a big concern for a lot of buyers since that wasn’t a factory option anyway. Uncuts seem to be in favor over the cut ones overall. I don’t think 25k will buy you what you are looking for. They’ve been overpriced for the last 10-15 years but if you really want one you just have to bite the bullet and pony up the money. Good luck.

Hotrodjohn

Theres a 77 ranger at Mecum right now that matches your description. Today It got bid to 70,000 and didn't meet reserve. Another 77 sold for 71500 at Mecum today. Look every day on searchtempest (a craigslist compilation basically) and you will probably eventually find a decent deal. There are resto guys out there that are constantly searching for EB's so you have to be quick to react.

Last edited:

Dano 407

Loc.
The Orange Groves
Not sure if I am referencing the same "Blue Bronco", but lot number 144 is a super high end build. I have sat in it and looked all over it. I do not know if it sold or not, nor what the builder had the reserve set at.

The '77 sport did not meet the reserve at $70k!

It is still fun to watch them go across the block.....

Dano

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...This looks like as good a place as any to chime in, introduce myself and show my ignorance!

Welcome BrookTrout! Hope you find something. But yeah, it's a competition out there to find the good ones. And even the not-so-good ones.

But the ones you find on Craigslist and elsewhere are not always going for the same prices as you would see at auction either. There the fever often hits a fever pitch and someone just has to have it and money be damned.
Out in the real world however, there are still deals (by comparison) to be had. Not good deals very often, but still much less sometimes than you would see on a Mecum or Barret-Jackson show.

There are many that sit for months (or in some cases years, literally) waiting for a buyer that does not seem to be forthcoming.
One EB (just checked, yep still there) has been on the local CL here for over three years. It's gorgeous too, but didn't sell at the 45k (maybe it was 49k?) price listed originally, or the 39k that I think it was listed for more recently.
Now it's at 45k (again?) so I'm guessing the owner is not in too much of a hurry to sell.

Good luck in the hunt.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah. And see what people are willing to pay

Not sure if I am referencing the same "Blue Bronco", but lot number 144 is a super high end build. I have sat in it and looked all over it. I do not know if it sold or not, nor what the builder had the reserve set at.

The '77 sport did not meet the reserve at $70k!

It is still fun to watch them go across the block.....

Dano

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome!@!@ 🤠

Guys,

This looks like as good a place as any to chime in, introduce myself and show my ignorance!

I’m sure you’ve heard the story: Had a 76 Bronco in high school and never wanted to let it go but did. I love the EBa- all of them and always wanted to get another “some day”.

Well I can say, I’m not a mechanic at all, but would like to get into a “driver” with potential to restore “some day”. Which ties me into the OP Topic- been watching prices pretty close last couple years (always out of my budget (budget? Ha!) but they seem to be going through the roof.

I can’t understand this market. I see prices sky high and y’all seem to comment “overpriced”. we seem to be in agreement. Then I see what I think is a square deal Just sit there?

I’ve got the EB itch and sitting on the sideline itching my head.

I understand this is too general, but what would one expect to pay for an 77 original bronco sport with auto transmission/ power steering/power breaks? Terrible paint but expected due to age. Good driver that probably needs to refreshed in a lot of areas? It’s cut (like both ways but would prefer uncut) , no AC, interior original or as original not fresh but certainly driver quality. Is this a $25k bronco?

andyp

Contributor
The blue one at Mecum was a complete and total turd. Rust, spray bombed. Terrible hack job panel replacement. Had the infamous "Bronco lean". Don't shed any tears about letting that one get away...